Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2015, 01:19 PM   #1
Skoolie

Location: Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 29
Stemco Wig Wag - What does it do? And Why?

It would appear to be related to compressed air and the STOP sign, but how does this STEMCO WIG WAG work and why do you even need it? Does it matter which way you push the lever? Why is in such a prominent position? I'm sort of guessing it is some sort of failsafe so the STOP sign works even when compressed air fails....

Old 02-09-2015, 02:58 PM   #2
Bus Nut

http://www.stemco.com/product/wig-wags/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wig_wag...raking_systems)
dond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 04:19 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
I think they're cool, first truck I drove with air brakes had one. It was a manual reset, won't stay up if air pressure is too low. There certainly isn't any doubt if the pressure goes down. I wish I had one just for the heck of it.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 05:13 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Wig Wags came in several different versions, one of which is still required under state spe'c for NY.

If your air pressure for your brakes ever goes below a certain PSI it will drop. Which is why some of them have stop lettered on them.

Without air pressure you won't stop which is why it will drop before you can't stop.

Some, like the one pictured, have to be reset by hand. Others will go up as the air pressure goes back up.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 06:55 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Without air pressure you won't stop which is why it will drop before you can't stop.
Actually, without air pressure you WILL stop. Modern air brake systems use air to release the brakes. No air the brakes are on.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:05 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa View Post
Actually, without air pressure you WILL stop. Modern air brake systems use air to release the brakes. No air the brakes are on.
Both are correct. The parking brake, or "spring brake," is set by a strong spring and held back during travel by air pressure. If you lose your air, the parking brake valve pops out releasing the "emergency" air. The springs are no longer held back and the parking brakes apply themselves.

On the handful of trucks I've driven, the front wheels have one air canister for service brakes only. The double canisters for service brakes plus spring brakes were only on the rear axle.

The foot pedal or treadle activates the service brakes by applying pressure to the system. If you lose air, the service brakes go away.

Dick is the professional driver, so I won't say there are not any systems with an air solenoid that inverts the air pressure and allows springs to set the service brake shoes, but I don't believe that is the way they commonly work.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:12 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S-600
Engine: 360 V8
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbear View Post
Both are correct. The parking brake, or "spring brake," is set by a strong spring and held back during travel by air pressure. If you lose your air, the parking brake valve pops out releasing the "emergency" air. The springs are no longer held back and the parking brakes apply themselves. ...
I don't know when these systems first appeared, but interestingly, I discovered that Dodge trucks and school buses with air brakes are so equipped back in 1976.

After going thru. training and becoming a prof. school bus driver, I found out why so many folks here prefer air brakes. These emergency systems are a great idea!
Old 03-11-2015, 06:02 AM   #8
Skoolie

Location: Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Year: 2002
Engine: DT466e
A follow-up question...Having fixed the severed airline and run the engine, the Wig Wag stays "up". However the next day the air pressure has dropped (you can see from the air pressure gauge on the dashboard)

Is this normal? Do I need to try and find the leak or is this to be expected? I.e. when the bus is running the compressor produces lot of pressure so a little loss is not important. One side effect is that in order to run the radio and get rid of the low air pressure warning noise I have to run the engine - and running a big diesel for short periods is not a good idea.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:21 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbrass View Post
Is this normal? Do I need to try and find the leak or is this to be expected? I.e. when the bus is running the compressor produces lot of pressure so a little loss is not important. One side effect is that in order to run the radio and get rid of the low air pressure warning noise I have to run the engine - and running a big diesel for short periods is not a good idea.
I'll probably get jumped on here, but it is pretty normal. If the vehicle doesn't have an ACC position with the ignition key, I usually rewire the radio so it will play with out having the key on. You just have to remember to turn it off when you leave.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:02 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
Air systems leak down over time, even when new, there are standards on how fast they can leak out but overnight is fine. The spring brake is piggybacked on the rear service brake, uses same brake shoes. Your low air pressure alarm should come on when the pressure goes below 90 psi, the air brake valve should pop out and set the spring brakes at about 60 psi. You can hold it in and drive until the pressure goes below 40 psi at which point the pressure is too low to overcome the springs
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 01:01 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

I have seen air brake equipped buses keep their air pressure up for several days. They were the exception.

Most newer buses will keep their air pressure up overnight.

But a lot of older buses are hard pressed to keep their air pressure up for four hours.

A lot of the times the leaks that cause the draw down are so little it is hard to locate them. Sometimes all it takes is to tighten up a fitting.

What happens is the more air operated devices you have the more opportunities there are for air to leak. A bus with only air brakes and nothing else has a minimum of air lines and fittings. When you start to add air operated wipers, service door, rear suspension, front and rear suspension, front/drive/tag axle air suspension, driver's seat, horn, air locks on luggage doors, air throttle, air clutch, air transmission shifter, air operated damper doors in the HVAC system, etc. you end up with miles of air lines and forty-leven fittings. It becomes an impossible task to identify and repair every leak.

As long as you can build air pressure up in the required amount of time and it doesn't leak down in less than the required amount of time I wouldn't worry about it.

As it has been noted before, I would not operated the radio with the key in the run position. Outside of the fact you would have to listen to the buzzers going it can also cause issues with the brain boxes for the engine and transmission if the key is left on for extended periods of time with the engine off. It would be much easier to just get the hot lead to the radio connected to an always hot power point.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 12:05 AM   #12

Wig wag or buzzer or light come on at 60#'s air pressure not 90.
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 05:37 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
my air pressure warning comes on at 60, not 90.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 01:55 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomsass
Chassis: FreightShaker
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 5 speed
Rated Cap: 2 ATV's and friends
Bus might be different from a tractor?, but the tractor trailers I drove the light and buzzer came on at 90#.

Small air leaks are sometimes hard to find, spray bottle of soapy water on EVERY fitting.
REDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 05:36 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomsass
Chassis: FreightShaker
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 5 speed
Rated Cap: 2 ATV's and friends
I'm wrong.....it's been a while, 60#'s for low air buzzer and light.
REDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 03:44 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
I know this is an old thread, but I want one of these Wig Wags. Where can I obtain one? How old of a truck to I have to find in a graveyard to find these installed on them?

New ones from Stemco are $568. Way too much in my opinion. I want to replace my buzzer with one of these. I can't find anyone selling them at a reasonable price. To me $100 to $120 would be reasonable.

I could go through the motions of making my own version of this with a arduino and an air pressure switch and a solenoid for less than $100, but it wouldn't be as cool looking as these originals.
nikitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 04:30 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Update, I found one on auction for $165, pulled the trigger on it. New condition too in box.
Old 10-19-2023, 08:50 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitis View Post
Update, I found one on auction for $165, pulled the trigger on it. New condition too in box.
Wow nice, where can I found that auction is it online?
Jamessmith0901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 08:59 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamessmith0901 View Post
Wow nice, where can I found that auction is it online?

It was Ebay. The only other listing on ebay is $495.95 I don't think the guy who is selling it to me knows what he had.
Old 10-19-2023, 09:07 PM   #20
Bus Crazy

Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
My 69 IHC bus has one. When dual circuit air brakes came out they disappeared. As to air leaks over 2 pounds per minute is out of service.