Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-18-2016, 10:55 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA
Posts: 12
Step One -- Selecting a Bus to Purchase

Would love to learn from the experienced here about how to select a bus for my project. (I may convert one, anyway -- probably will.)

What are things to look for and avoid?

Where are good places to find lower priced used buses?

I'm probably going to go with a short bus. Fuel efficiency is a factor, for sure!
MrRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 11:31 AM   #2
Bus Crazy
 
Scooternj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: EHT New Jersey
Posts: 1,134
Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRiver View Post
Would love to learn from the experienced here about how to select a bus for my project. (I may convert one, anyway -- probably will.)

What are things to look for and avoid?
Rust, rust, more rust, and tires out of date code. Oh yeah- gas engines, MB engines, propane engines, MaxxPro 7/DT360 engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRiver View Post
Where are good places to find lower priced used buses?

I'm probably going to go with a short bus. Fuel efficiency is a factor, for sure!
Usually PublicSurplus and Govdeals.com, usually within a few weeks as schools begin to replace their fleet. If you talk to your local school bus barn, they might get you an early "in", or point you towards the best buses they're dumping.
__________________
Hey! That's not an RV, that's a school bus.
Well thank you for noticing, Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 11:38 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA
Posts: 12
Thanks for your input, Scooternj!

I'll definitely be looking out for rust. Apparently, as one living in New Mexico, my geographical location is good for avoiding the salted roads = rust problem.

Diesels run a little less expensively on fuel, don't they? How would you decide on gas versus diesel? Which is better?

I wish I could run it on water with water vapor as the only "exhaust". But then I wish I were a millionaire, too. And better looking.
MrRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 03:24 PM   #4
Bus Crazy
 
Scooternj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: EHT New Jersey
Posts: 1,134
Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRiver View Post
Thanks for your input, Scooternj!

I'll definitely be looking out for rust. Apparently, as one living in New Mexico, my geographical location is good for avoiding the salted roads = rust problem.

Diesels run a little less expensively on fuel, don't they? How would you decide on gas versus diesel? Which is better?

I wish I could run it on water with water vapor as the only "exhaust". But then I wish I were a millionaire, too. And better looking.
Diesels will, on average, get around 8-10mpg, gas engines get significantly less than that on a full size bus. Numbers go up the smaller you go, but diesel for a bus is still more efficient than gas.
__________________
Hey! That's not an RV, that's a school bus.
Well thank you for noticing, Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bus advice, buying advice, buying our first bus, purchase

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.