Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2017, 06:52 PM   #1
Skoolie

Stereo? 110vac home or 12vdc mobile?

Do you have two separate systems in your bus so you can have a 110vac tv and sound system along with the 12vdc car system when driving? Or do you use one or the other and buy the tv to match?

I'd like to run a home system only on an inverter, but dont know the ins and outs of antenna hook up.

Deezl Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:31 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Fisher Body
Chassis: GM "B" Platform
Engine: 350 TBI Chevrolet
Rated Cap: 8
Mobile stuff is going to be easier to install. Another thing to take into account is that many home electronics have an internal AC-DC converter in them. AC power has historically been easier to transmit over distances so that's been why its been used.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:41 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1987
Engine: 6.9L Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezl Smoke View Post
Do you have two separate systems in your bus so you can have a 110vac tv and sound system along with the 12vdc car system when driving? Or do you use one or the other and buy the tv to match?

I'd like to run a home system only on an inverter, but dont know the ins and outs of antenna hook up.
So I wish I could tell you from experience, but only conceptual understanding. Bus on/ or bus off, you probably want as much running off 12v DC car system as possible. Unless maybe if you plan to be plugged into an AC grid most of the time. Since TV's, laptops, USB outlets and apparently stereo's too (according to Stewzer) all are powered by DC (converted from the AC in your outlet). It is within your best interest to power them directly from DC (maybe with a dc-dc converter). Otherwise you will face inefficiency from Inverting DC->AC->DC.
TAOLIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:57 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
I would use car audio stuff at least when moving, has much better electrical interference shielding than home audio equipment
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 10:10 PM   #5
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAOLIK View Post
So I wish I could tell you from experience, but only conceptual understanding. Bus on/ or bus off, you probably want as much running off 12v DC car system as possible. Unless maybe if you plan to be plugged into an AC grid most of the time. Since TV's, laptops, USB outlets and apparently stereo's too (according to Stewzer) all are powered by DC (converted from the AC in your outlet). It is within your best interest to power them directly from DC (maybe with a dc-dc converter). Otherwise you will face inefficiency from Inverting DC->AC->DC.
Now that's interesting. Thanks for the new info.
Deezl Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 12:21 AM   #6
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezl Smoke View Post

You may want to check in to some of the more capable "chip amp" systems used for automobiles by audiophile tinkerers. Diyaudio.com has a lot of interesting content about them.

They often run on higher DC voltages, but a simple dc-dc power supply can raise your standard 12v system to the 24, 30, etc. (or even a split rail supply) that an amp requires without incurring the loss of an inverter. A proper isolating dc supply will minimize electrical noise.

Of course, it's possible to just buy a class D amp from car audio places and avoid all that mucking about... Heh. I have a weakness for reinventing wheels.
lucasd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 01:05 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewzer55 View Post
Mobile stuff is going to be easier to install. Another thing to take into account is that many home electronics have an internal AC-DC converter in them. AC power has historically been easier to transmit over distances so that's been why its been used.
Yep...going with a DCV system is much more efficient, power-wise...and built for the vibrations of the road

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote