Old 04-21-2009, 07:54 AM   #11
Bus Geek
Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Re: Stereo sound system ???

I really don't think you'll have any interference problems. The biggest thing is to keep power wires away from sensor wiring on fuel injected vehicles because the magnetic induction will give your PCM some crazy readings. You don't have to worry about that. If possible try and run the RCA and power wire apart somewhat as it is possible to get a little noise from that, but it's been my experience that almost all noises in stereos are caused by the ground side of things. The only thing you can do is try. If you get noise that sounds like you're playing Excitebike we'll go from there.
Skooling state at a time...
the_experience03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:19 AM   #12
Year: 1988
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 8.2L Detroit N/A, Allison
Rated Cap: 65

If you get noise that sounds like you're playing Excitebike we'll go from there.I loved that game!
NewSkewlHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 05:17 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

If the ground is bad on the 2-way radio antenna, or the antenna is very badly tuned to the frequency band (wrong length whip or wrong coil, if needed), some of the energy during transmitting may come back down the outside of the antenna cable and cause a hum in the speakers and possibly absence of music. The hum could occur any time the amp is powered, even if the music source is off.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 06:08 AM   #14
Year: 93
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: ?
Engine: 5.9 Cummins

I have installed a couple of stereo systems in boats which take alot of abuse. As Experience has pointed out, it is very easy. If you can swing it, buy a new head unit, three preouts is the way to go. A problem I had on the boat with only two preouts is I had to choose on the amp which channel it was getting the bass signal from(front or rear). I had to have the fader option to switch between the tower speakers and interior boat speakers. I would lose alot of my bass upon going from front to rear(Experience, if there is a way around this, please advise) . At any rate the speakers I have used in all my applications(two boats, hunting vehicle, and will use in bus are Infiniti 6022i. These speakers have gotten wet. They have had constant exposure to the elements and still sound better than average. The plus is they cost about $56/pair on Ebay.
swhite832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:10 PM   #15
Bus Nut

surfing on the web i found this site, has some good drawings on how to wire a stereo system with dual batteries, isolater or solenoid. Applicable to bus wiring too for back up batteries. Check it out
Proud owner of a: 1996 Thomas Safe-T-Liner,Cummins 6CTA 8.3Lt diesel, Allison AT.
swinada is offline   Reply With Quote