Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2010, 11:17 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DTA360
Rated Cap: 16
Stock Heaters???

What's the advantage to keeping them other than the obvious heat while driving???

I'm assuming they are plumbed directly to the coolant system... If I take them out will the bus run hotter???

I would guess that I just need to loop the hoses back into each other...

Has anyone reused them for something other than their intended purpose???

dirtygoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:50 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DTA360
Rated Cap: 16
Re: Stock Heaters???

OK, I used the search button...

I can't pull out the newbie card, I know better from other forums...

I want to lose the heaters, I spent some time following the heater hoses today...

Not sure though if the air from behind the drivers seat is defrosting the windshield... Don't want to lose the defrost...

How well does the heater by the front doors work??? Kinda hard to judge in the summer time... I'm guessing that a lot of heat is lost from opening and closing the doors so much when on a school route...

Thanks for all the info I have found already...
dirtygoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:48 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: DT466/AT545
Re: Stock Heaters???

I would think you would need the front heater for defrosting. My bus has two heaters in the front and one in the back. Each front heater serves 1/2 of the windshield, so you need them both for defrosting. If you want to eliminate the rear heater, you could just loop the hose. I plan on keeping my rear heater for two reasons: 1. heat when driving, and 2. emergency engine cooling. I plan to locate it in such a way that I can choose (by moving a small sliding door) whether it will heat the interior of the bus, or blow outside the bus. My engine tends to get hot when hill climbing in hot weather. If I turn on the rear heater, it cools the engine down by an additional 10-20 degrees. If you choose to eliminate the heater by looping the hose it will not adversely affect the normal operating temperature of the engine, but you would lose the opportunity to add extra cooling when needed.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote