Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2006, 07:49 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Stop Signal Removal- need help fast

Yikes. I just unscrewed the stop signal frame, and besides the electrical wiring, there's also a hard copper line running through the bus wall to the signal. Is that a hydraulic line of some sort for pushing the sign out?

It's an '88 Wayne Checy by the way. Gas engine, hydraulic assist brakes. Maybe it's operated off the power steering like the brake assist?

Any help appreciated. I want to just cut the sucker loose and start prepping for paint tomorrow, but I don't want to do that if it's going to disable something important. I need to drive it about 40 miles in the morning.

Jody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 12:52 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Mine operates off the air for the brakes. Behind the bracket that the sign attaches to is an airbag with a spring for the return. It has two part numbers on it-one for air and one for a vacuum system. I would imagine yours is vacuum perhaps?

My sign is off, but everything else is there. I plan to use the rotozip and some sheet metal to make something else to go on there.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:23 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
I don't have air assist brakes either. I have full on air brakes. Air brakes come in several types with some fine lines between what requires an air brake endorsement on your CDL should you use the vehicle for commercial purposes.

Chances are your brakes are hydroboost meaning that the power steering pump provides the assist to the master cylinder instead of a vacuum booster like in a car. There are even several types of brakes of the hydraulic nature. Thank your sweet deity that you don't have the Ford system that is like air brakes in that it has parking brakes that come on automatically if you lose pressure. Those things are a PAIN to work on. They also seem harder to cage than regular air brakes.