Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-11-2019, 10:52 AM   #1
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 202
Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Storage Clearance from Exhaust Pipe

I’m about to install tool boxes in the skirt just behind the rear wheels. The left side will be over the exhaust pipe. How much clearance do you think it should have?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CB627AA5-C3B7-4CCD-B086-5DC238A79ECB.jpg (158.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 73D3E543-7FEB-40AE-A3D0-16C22064DBB5.jpg (150.7 KB, 7 views)
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 11:02 AM   #2
Bus Crazy
 
HazMatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: E Central Tejas
Posts: 1,601
Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
What're you gonna store in it, and are the boxes metal, or plastic?
__________________
Those who say that it cannot be done should not interrupt the people doing it.
HazMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 11:08 AM   #3
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 4,538
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Good question.....

I have plans for a generator box above my exhaust. I am looking forward to the replies.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 11:19 AM   #4
Bus Crazy
 
HazMatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: E Central Tejas
Posts: 1,601
Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
If protracted idling in a hot climate is anticipated, I'd be worried about excessive gas fumes being generated, presuming a gas-fired gen-set.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Good question.....

I have plans for a generator box above my exhaust. I am looking forward to the replies.
An exhaust re-route is another option to consider...
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...2&share_type=t
__________________
Those who say that it cannot be done should not interrupt the people doing it.
HazMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 11:33 AM   #5
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 202
Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazMatt View Post
What're you gonna store in it, and are the boxes metal, or plastic?
Here’s the box.

IDK what I’m storing just yet. Knowing myself, probably tools or fishing tackle.
Attached Images
File Type: png DCB423A5-546B-4412-AA0C-A817976F2D27.png (263.0 KB, 4 views)
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:06 PM   #6
Bus Nut
 
TheHubbardBus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Hotzona
Posts: 269
Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar T444e
Rated Cap: 24
You might want to consider fiberglass cloth exhaust wrap. It's more for keeping heat in than preventing it from getting out (to maintain exhaust velocity for performance applications), but that's essentially two sides of the same coin. On an inline-4 you can hold your right on the collector 2' from the exhaust ports. So I figure in your application it would be more than sufficient.

Just an amazon search for reference. No endorsement of any of the specific products:

https://www.amazon.com/fiberglass-ex...s+exhaust+wrap
__________________
- Sharon & Jody
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:47 PM   #7
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 6,777
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHubbardBus View Post
You might want to consider fiberglass cloth exhaust wrap. It's more for keeping heat in than preventing it from getting out (to maintain exhaust velocity for performance applications), but that's essentially two sides of the same coin. On an inline-4 you can hold your right on the collector 2' from the exhaust ports. So I figure in your application it would be more than sufficient.

Just an amazon search for reference. No endorsement of any of the specific products:

https://www.amazon.com/fiberglass-ex...s+exhaust+wrap
Header wrap has been proven to have far more cons than benefits and the benifits are neglible in the most extreme applications. If it's not on a full out race car, it has little to no benefit. I doubt heat from the pipe will be an issue.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:56 PM   #8
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 202
Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
I’m just going to do it. If I need clearance I can always drop the pipe an inch.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:22 PM   #9
Bus Nut
 
TheHubbardBus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Hotzona
Posts: 269
Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar T444e
Rated Cap: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Header wrap has been proven to have far more cons than benefits and the benifits are neglible in the most extreme applications. If it's not on a full out race car, it has little to no benefit. I doubt heat from the pipe will be an issue.
Well, in the context of this discussion, header wrap has one important proven benefit - containing heat that could otherwise prove detrimental to surrounding materials.

The heat that I'm familiar with doesn't really understand whether it's coming from a 'full-out race car', or a medium-duty diesel. But maybe the heat is smarter in Georgia.
__________________
- Sharon & Jody
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:34 PM   #10
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 6,777
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHubbardBus View Post
Well, in the context of this discussion, header wrap has one important proven benefit - containing heat that could otherwise prove detrimental to surrounding materials.

The heat that I'm familiar with doesn't really understand whether it's coming from a 'full-out race car', or a medium-duty diesel. But maybe the heat is smarter in Georgia.
What's the temp surrounding the pipe? Or are you just guessing at fixes that may not be needed?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
exhaust

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.