Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2019, 10:52 AM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Storage Clearance from Exhaust Pipe

I’m about to install tool boxes in the skirt just behind the rear wheels. The left side will be over the exhaust pipe. How much clearance do you think it should have?
Attached Thumbnails
CB627AA5-C3B7-4CCD-B086-5DC238A79ECB.jpg   73D3E543-7FEB-40AE-A3D0-16C22064DBB5.jpg  

Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 11:02 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
What're you gonna store in it, and are the boxes metal, or plastic?
Old 07-11-2019, 11:08 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Good question.....

I have plans for a generator box above my exhaust. I am looking forward to the replies.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 11:19 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
If protracted idling in a hot climate is anticipated, I'd be worried about excessive gas fumes being generated, presuming a gas-fired gen-set.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Good question.....

I have plans for a generator box above my exhaust. I am looking forward to the replies.
An exhaust re-route is another option to consider...
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...2&share_type=t
Old 07-11-2019, 11:33 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazMatt View Post
What're you gonna store in it, and are the boxes metal, or plastic?
Here’s the box.

IDK what I’m storing just yet. Knowing myself, probably tools or fishing tackle.
Attached Thumbnails
DCB423A5-546B-4412-AA0C-A817976F2D27.png  
Old 07-11-2019, 12:06 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
You might want to consider fiberglass cloth exhaust wrap. It's more for keeping heat in than preventing it from getting out (to maintain exhaust velocity for performance applications), but that's essentially two sides of the same coin. On an inline-4 you can hold your right on the collector 2' from the exhaust ports. So I figure in your application it would be more than sufficient.

Just an amazon search for reference. No endorsement of any of the specific products:

https://www.amazon.com/fiberglass-ex...s+exhaust+wrap

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:47 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHubbardBus View Post
You might want to consider fiberglass cloth exhaust wrap. It's more for keeping heat in than preventing it from getting out (to maintain exhaust velocity for performance applications), but that's essentially two sides of the same coin. On an inline-4 you can hold your right on the collector 2' from the exhaust ports. So I figure in your application it would be more than sufficient.

Just an amazon search for reference. No endorsement of any of the specific products:

https://www.amazon.com/fiberglass-ex...s+exhaust+wrap
Header wrap has been proven to have far more cons than benefits and the benifits are neglible in the most extreme applications. If it's not on a full out race car, it has little to no benefit. I doubt heat from the pipe will be an issue.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:56 PM   #8
Bus Geek

I’m just going to do it. If I need clearance I can always drop the pipe an inch.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:22 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Header wrap has been proven to have far more cons than benefits and the benifits are neglible in the most extreme applications. If it's not on a full out race car, it has little to no benefit. I doubt heat from the pipe will be an issue.
Well, in the context of this discussion, header wrap has one important proven benefit - containing heat that could otherwise prove detrimental to surrounding materials.

The heat that I'm familiar with doesn't really understand whether it's coming from a 'full-out race car', or a medium-duty diesel. But maybe the heat is smarter in Georgia.

Old 07-11-2019, 01:34 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHubbardBus View Post
Well, in the context of this discussion, header wrap has one important proven benefit - containing heat that could otherwise prove detrimental to surrounding materials.

The heat that I'm familiar with doesn't really understand whether it's coming from a 'full-out race car', or a medium-duty diesel. But maybe the heat is smarter in Georgia.
What's the temp surrounding the pipe? Or are you just guessing at fixes that may not be needed?
Old 07-11-2019, 01:49 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Probably do equally well, or even better, to put the wrap or other high-temp insulation on the box rather than the exhaust tube.

Or stick a piece of sheet metal in between as a heat shield. We see those all the time on/near catalytic converters and mufflers - no insulation at all.

On second thought, take a closer look at that picture. It looks as if the exhaust "tip" (can we call it that?) is joined to the exhaust tube about 1.5 feet back from the exit, and there's some air gap in there. The exhaust flowing past that gap will create suction and draw ambient air in at that point. It'll mix and the gases exiting at the tip will be cooler. I'll bet the exhaust tip is cool enough that nothing more is needed. Run it hard and then splash some water on the metal. Does it sizzle? Wet a finger and quickly touch the metal. Did you feel any heat?
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:16 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
What's the temp surrounding the pipe? Or are you just guessing at fixes that may not be needed?

No, Marc. I'm providing a potential solution IF the temperatures surrounding the pipe and the items he's planning to place in proximity require it. It's up to the OP to decide if they do. The very fact he posted the question suggests that he's concerned about heat. So a heat-mitigating solution seemed to be of value.

Contrast that to your assertion of "I doubt heat from the pipe will be an issue", without any idea of what the temps are, how close he was mounting the items in question, or what the items were composed of. And assertion which, ironically if not surprisingly, is exactly what you're accusing me of providing... an uneducated guess.

Old 07-11-2019, 02:17 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by family wagon View Post
Probably do equally well, or even better, to put the wrap or other high-temp insulation on the box rather than the exhaust tube.

Or stick a piece of sheet metal in between as a heat shield. We see those all the time on/near catalytic converters and mufflers - no insulation at all.

On second thought, take a closer look at that picture. It looks as if the exhaust "tip" (can we call it that?) is joined to the exhaust tube about 1.5 feet back from the exit, and there's some air gap in there. The exhaust flowing past that gap will create suction and draw ambient air in at that point. It'll mix and the gases exiting at the tip will be cooler. I'll bet the exhaust tip is cool enough that nothing more is needed. Run it hard and then splash some water on the metal. Does it sizzle? Wet a finger and quickly touch the metal. Did you feel any heat?

Best answer yet.

Old 07-11-2019, 05:12 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
My exhaust runs about 1.5" under the black tank and the tank is plastic. 11,000 miles so far and no problems.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 06:04 PM   #15
Bus Geek

My factory exhaust runs parallel to the back of the storage box about 6" behind it. How close do you want to mount your box ?

Tags
exhaust