Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2016, 03:26 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Storage Facility RV parking

There is a storage facility within walking distance of where I live and they have a 10x30 outdoor space available for $75 a month. The problem is that they do not allow any work to be done on the vehicle while it is parked there. So I am back to square one on where to work on my bus. There is no room at my house (HOA prohibits it anyway) and an affordable piece of land to store it on would be a few thousand dollars, over a hundred miles away and insecure. My only option seems to be buying an already converted bus. Even then it would be very inconvenient not to be able to do any work on it.

Gazolba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 04:29 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Yeah, its never easy finding somewhere to convert a bus unless you're wealthy or have wealthy friends.
WHere to park it is the million dollar question.

To anyone following along/lurking- Find at least two "for sure" places you can park a bus before you buy one. Ask me how I know!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 05:47 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Rated Cap: 72
Nothing says you can't do the INSIDE work there.... last bus I had I took the seats out of it while it was parked on a storage facility lot... of course I did it after hours when no one was around.... if you can get 24 hour access to the facility just do the work you can when no one is around. Cutting holes in the outside, and painting, that kind of stuff might be tricky to manage... small things it probably wouldn't matter much. Heck my other bus still had the white lettering down the sides.... I stood there and spray painted the lettering black WHILE talking to the site manager about other things and nothing was ever said about it. Maybe strike up a friendship with the facility manager, it might get you a little leeway in that regard or it might not but it would be worth a try.
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 09:09 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 44 or 66? 11 rows
Could you do the work at the curb outside your house or in your driveway, then take the bus back to the storage yard for the night and walk home?

It's likely to annoy your HOA but if it meets the letter of the agreement, you might choose to proceed.

I agree with AlleyCat: a six-pack, a smile, and a sincere handshake for the storage facility manager might be a very good idea.
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 11:50 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlleyCat67 View Post
Nothing says you can't do the INSIDE work there.... last bus I had I took the seats out of it while it was parked on a storage facility lot... <snip>
Thanks for the tip. I will speak to the manager and get a copy of the lease which has all the rules and restrictions. I would imagine they are concerned about the safety of working on a vehicle that has a fuel tank since other vehicles are parked to the right and left. I could drill a hole and pierce a fuel line. Is diesel safer from that aspect than gasoline?
Gazolba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 12:23 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Rated Cap: 72
Well strictly speaking, yes, to a degree..... gasoline's flash point is a lot lower than diesel so it won't go up quite as quickly, but once it goes it burns hotter so you still want to exercise due caution with it.
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 01:48 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 8.3/Allison MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
You can drop a lit match in a bucket of diesel and it'll put the match out.

Gasoline is actually more difficult to ignite than you'd probably imagine too.

I recently couldn't find a striker or a functioning cigarette lighter when I was trying to do some cutting with a torch. I thought I'd just pour a little gas on the ground and shoot some sparks at it with a grinder.

No dice. I had to shoot sparks at a paper towel and get it smouldering, then use that to light the gasoline.

Sure, drilling a hole in a fuel line would suck, but it's not the end of the world. Even if you have a gas engine.
Rameses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 02:34 AM   #8
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126
Wink

I found a great place for $50/month. The manager is so nice, the thought of not being able to work on the bus didn't even occur to me.
Quote:
Yeah, its never easy finding somewhere to convert a bus unless you're wealthy or have wealthy friends.
Not if you're a redneck.
Marceps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 03:47 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameses View Post
You can drop a lit match in a bucket of diesel and it'll put the match out.

Gasoline is actually more difficult to ignite than you'd probably imagine too.

I recently couldn't find a striker or a functioning cigarette lighter when I was trying to do some cutting with a torch. I thought I'd just pour a little gas on the ground and shoot some sparks at it with a grinder.

No dice. I had to shoot sparks at a paper towel and get it smouldering, then use that to light the gasoline.

Sure, drilling a hole in a fuel line would suck, but it's not the end of the world. Even if you have a gas engine.

Reminds me of back in the day when i smoked and couldnt find a light... out to the garage for some steel wool with a 9V batttery. That always produced a light lol
:fire:
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 05:19 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
ive got low taxes, a million dollar view and a place to work on my bus. its called country. just move out a little further.
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 07:45 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Both of the stirage places I have my busses at, have these really strict leases.. yet when I actually look at what goes on there i realize they arent nearly as strict as they say..

talking to the manager and such sounds noble but now you have put a mark on yourself for them to come check you out all the time...

otherwise you find a place, get a lot near the back and work inside your bus.. no you dont paint, or strip paint, weld, etc.. and you do remove all of your trash.. and most likely they wont say anything..

I hadto pay professionally to paint both of my busses because I dont have space to work where i could sand, and strip and paint...

but I did install 2 air conditioning systems, replaced fan clutches, dash clusters, headlights, cleanly changed the oil,, ran wires, etc with no issues...

ive never left a mess and all has been well..

also your HOA prohibits it, however my guess is that if you bring your bus hime on a saturday mornng and spend all day yanking the seats, etc.. then go put it away in its storage bay at night that you wont have too many issues..

I know my HOA is a PITA.. however using that method I have not had issues. the storage unit at my ohio home is 5 minute drive from the house so its easy to get it out and put it away with no issues...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 09:42 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 8.3/Allison MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carytowncat View Post

Reminds me of back in the day when i smoked and couldnt find a light... out to the garage for some steel wool with a 9V batttery. That always produced a light lol
:fire:
Yeah, that stuff's awesome!

I still remember finding out how easily electricity makes it go up in flames. When I was about 19, I had a warped cylinder head off an old mustang and it was at a machine shop getting fixed. Meanwhile a touch of surface rust developed in a cylinder bore and I was cleaning it out with some steel wool. Laid it down (across the battery terminals) and promptly crapped my pants.

Grinder sparks will definitely set that stuff off, too!
Rameses is offline   Reply With Quote