Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2009, 09:56 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14
Re: Storage Thread

Storage. Wow, there's a lot of options for this, and a lot of creative ways to go about doing it. My criteria for storage is the following:

ROOF RACK
  • Must be able to hold PV panels, [/*:m:30ws9io2]
  • Must carry weight of lots of boxes of supplies[/*:m:30ws9io2]
  • Must be able to safely double as a sleeping platform in summer weather.[/*:m:30ws9io2]

BOXED STORAGE
  • Must be durable and weatherproof for storage on the roof rack[/*:m:30ws9io2]
  • Must be able to be stacked neatly when not in use (all same size/brand/model)[/*:m:30ws9io2]

KITCHEN STORAGE
  • Keep limited number of items (not full service for plates/cups/silverware/etc)[/*:m:30ws9io2]
  • Build custom cabinet/shelves for kitchen based on need, not style.[/*:m:30ws9io2]
  • Plates, glasses, pots & pans, etc., must all be stackable to conserve space.[/*:m:30ws9io2]
  • Utilize sink and oven space when bus is traveling to new locations[/*:m:30ws9io2]
  • Dry goods must be stored in plastic tubs that have waterproof/sealable lids (same type as roof storage)[/*:m:30ws9io2]

LINEN/CLOTHES STORAGE
  • Limit clothes to necessities (several t-shirts, couple of dress shirts, BDU pants, business khaki pants, lots of socks & undergarments) [/*:m:30ws9io2]
  • Clothes must be neatly folded and/or rolled before storing[/*:m:30ws9io2]
  • Towels must be hung to dry immediately after using[/*:m:30ws9io2]
  • 2 sets of sheets, 2 blankets & 2 pillows for bed - everything must fit in storage under the mattress[/*:m:30ws9io2]

I'm sure there's more, but that's all my tired brain can think of right this minute.

TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 10:39 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 65

I carry alot of the foldup charis in the bags, 2 4 post tents that are in their own carrying bags, tools, misc electrical and plumbing items, oil, coolant, funnels, generator, gas cans, small grill, coolers, fold up tables, towels and rags. I also keep 2 5 gallon buckets for other misc items and for a step to the back porch. Youd be surprised even in a bus how much space is quickly used up.

I store the chairs in my back storage area on top of the bench that has my water tank under it Coolers, table and tents are in the aisle by the back door which I hate. All of my seating is hollow underneath and the seat bottoms are hinged for storage. Oil, coolant, glass cleaner etc is under the front copilots seat. Tools, soda/beer cases, jumper cables and towels under the long bench. Repair items i.e. electrical, plumbing etc under the rear bench/storage area that you have to move the tents, chairs, bags etc etc to get to. Generator and gas cans on the back porch.

Theres a 60" residential kitchen cabinet on one side with 2 drawers with a bunch of junk in them. Bags of chips etc under the cabinet. I have roller catches on the cabinet drawers and the cabinet doors have self closing hinges that hold them shut. The benches have long piano hinges and weather stripping on the front edge to keep them from rattling.

Currently I am looking for two underbelly boxes or one long one to mount. This is where I would like to move the chairs and tents to. This would allow the coolers off the floor and the aisle cleared. It seems to me that underbelly storage is the way to go.
kamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 07:38 AM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Bluebird tc2000
Chassis: 3401-3502 ???
Engine: cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72

yeah i was thinking truck bed storage rigged to fit under the bus..... but i will have to change the latch system
also every sitting/sleeping area will have storage underneath
i have no idea how im going to store our sons bazillion toys...probably going to just downsize and give him cardboard to play with as it just lays flat
cheezypsnookle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 11:40 AM   #4
Skoolie

here is a thought, because I like to think up interesting and odd things. I don't know how possible it is to do with a bus structural wise, but what about in floor storage the kind like you see in some boats. Its basically a hatch in your floor that opens up to a storage bay. If you already have the belly bays in the bus you could have the hatch lead to that. if there isn't any belly bays one could build some kind of storage box in that area. Kinda got the idea from Star Wars where they hide in the Millenium Falcons smugglers bays. And if you make it big enough you could probably smuggle yourself past the star troopers too.
thesaltydog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:20 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: IH
Engine: dt466

As the BearDen was intended for a BOV, I have sacrificed space on other things for the sake of storage. Roof rack, underbelly, floor compartments between the fame rails, etc. Still in the construction phaze of all.
Along with a 18' trailer to haul the bikes/atv's/4-wd. The bigger problem was the extra space for the 100 gal. fuel tank and 40 gal. gas tank and all the plumbing for the fuel station. Some things look good on paper.....then you actually try to apply the theory.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:42 PM   #6
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papabear
floor compartments between the fame rails
I was thinking more into this and would like to plan it into my design. Are you installing floor compartments in your bus? do you have any advice or pics?
Chris
Old 11-02-2009, 10:32 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84

Kitchen cabinets hold the kitchen things. Under the couches holds bedding for the king size bed. An old dot matrix printer cabinet is our clothes cabinet. A cabinet with glass doors in bathroom holds towels, TP, usual bathroom stuff. Across from the bathroom is a 3' galley with plastic coated wire racks usually used for closet organization turned upside down with the lip on top to hold things from falling out. This is usually used for large kitchen stuff like griddles, Frisbees, tubs with air mattresses and bedding, motorcycle leathers and boots, curtains, trash sacks, etc. As far as tools I have a roll around tool box secured to the bus behind the bathroom with batteries, light bulbs, nuts, bolts and screws, electrical things, rope, tape, bungee cords, inflaters, lighters, spare parts for the bus and what ever else needs a home. Outside I have the old stairway up front for oils, antifreeze, hazard reflectors, fan belts etc. In the rear on both sides I have some locker doors that I built boxes for and welded into the side of the bus. Then we have a large box that was from a big truck that we store firewood and leveling ramps in. The 10' motorcycle ramp stores under the rear floor and slides out the rear. I have some steps for the rear door that bungee inside next to the door. The rear 9' of the bus is completely open, we call it the garage, and you can haul anything you can get through the rear door like coolers, tents, chairs, cookers, bicycles, food, people, motorcycles, etc. hence the universal hauler. sportyrick
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:06 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesaltydog24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papabear
floor compartments between the fame rails
I was thinking more into this and would like to plan it into my design. Are you installing floor compartments in your bus? do you have any advice or pics?
Chris
Again, an afterthought. new floor already down. I plan on getting a couple of boat hatches and cut the radius holes from the inside. Install the hatches. Build metal boxes with an open top and 1 1/2" flanges on top . Then screw the boxes on from the underside of the floor, with a weatherstrip around the top. Clear ar mud?
Old 11-03-2009, 02:03 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

I'm sure someone here has done these things: How about storage built into the floor like in WWII submarines or (simple) nets for storage on the ceiling for all the raised roof crowd.
crazyidea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 02:00 PM   #10
Skoolie

Does anyone know of the measurement or an estimated measurement between the frame rails? I am thinking of the in-floor storage idea and wanted to know what I had to work with.
Thanks
Chirs
Old 11-05-2009, 09:47 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesaltydog24
Does anyone know of the measurement or an estimated measurement between the frame rails? I am thinking of the in-floor storage idea and wanted to know what I had to work with.
Thanks
Chirs
If memory serves me correctly, On my international chassis, it it 32" from inside lip to inside lip on the frame rails.