Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2018, 08:48 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 72 Passenger
Storm windows as substitute

So as I continue to scour the forums and the internet for RV windows I had to ask this question. I came across RV windows and what stood out was using conventional house windows.

While I found the information needed to make sure the type of glass is adequate for the application (traveling vehicle, vibration, elevation changes, single/double pane, glass material, etc) but I've been searching every couple of days for salvage campers and/or inexpensive RV windows.

With not much luck I still searched. Eventually I found a posting in a nearby town for storm windows.

Research shows that those that do use storm windows are mounting them from the inside. However, these are meant to be mounted from the outside. Keep in mind these are usually just a DIY style storm window.

Prices are really inexpensive for new RV windows that it seems worth pursuing. I'm waiting to hear back from the seller to see what the glass material is made out of.

These look like a slider to me. What do you think?

Posting from seller in case link expires...

"These storm windows taken off when replacement windows were installed. All functional with screens. White aluminum. 6 total.
53.75H x 31.75W
$25 each.

Perfect for camp windows, shed, ice fishing hut, camper, park home, Bob house."
Attached Thumbnails
00P0P_5ktXYbRboSY_1200x900.jpg   00a0a_5shENfpu8s4_1200x900.jpg  

Santa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:50 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
This is a really bad idea.

Unless the glass is tempered (splinterproof), they would be both illegal and dangerous.

They would work for a tiny house that didn't move, but for a vehicle, not so much.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:28 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 72 Passenger
I figured as much. I wanted to be that person that asks so in the future no one will.

Now if only I can take back what I said!

Santa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:39 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Hey ... the only dumb questions are the ones you don't ask

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 11:15 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa View Post
So as I continue to scour the forums and the internet for RV windows I had to ask this question. I came across RV windows and what stood out was using conventional house windows.

While I found the information needed to make sure the type of glass is adequate for the application (traveling vehicle, vibration, elevation changes, single/double pane, glass material, etc) but I've been searching every couple of days for salvage campers and/or inexpensive RV windows.

With not much luck I still searched. Eventually I found a posting in a nearby town for storm windows.

Research shows that those that do use storm windows are mounting them from the inside. However, these are meant to be mounted from the outside. Keep in mind these are usually just a DIY style storm window.

Prices are really inexpensive for new RV windows that it seems worth pursuing. I'm waiting to hear back from the seller to see what the glass material is made out of.

These look like a slider to me. What do you think?

Posting from seller in case link expires...

"These storm windows taken off when replacement windows were installed. All functional with screens. White aluminum. 6 total.
53.75H x 31.75W
$25 each.

Perfect for camp windows, shed, ice fishing hut, camper, park home, Bob house."
Awesome price for windows...I'd not use them in skoolie though...they look like vinyl...if a small cabin, yes

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote