Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2008, 08:35 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: ISB Cummings
Rated Cap: 84
Stormy Weather

Hi All,

After the recent bout of storms in the south, I began to think of what it would be like to be in a skoolie and find ourselves in the middle of something nasty. Do any of you have experiences with skoolies and poor weather conditions? Any advice or good stories?

Fifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 08:41 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Re: Stormy Weather

I've been in a REAL nasty storm once. I dropped the flagpole, took off the makeshift tarp awning, put the windows up, and settled in to play some Guitar Hero while the pizzas cooked in the over. Seriously...even with 70 mph gusts the bus barely moved. Sure, you knew the wind was blowing, but that was more because of the sound than the sensation. I know I sure don't worry about it when I'm inside.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:55 PM   #3
Bus Geek

it wasn't bad, like a tornado or hurricane, but at burningman one year there were gale force winds and almost zero visibility due to dust storms for a few hours. Temperature was hot, prob 90 degrees. We could barely see the people walking by the bus wearing goggles and masks stumbling slowly into the unknown as they leaned into the wind. They looked so miserable. The dust was so bad it nearly blocked out the sun.

(i stole this image from some random website)

meanwhile.......

me and an attractive young lady were sitting the in the swimming pool temperature jacuzzi eating bacon and sipping ice cold drinks.

and one time shortly after i bough the bus, which i store at my fathers house, the electricity went out for about 3 days. Up until that point the bus that was parked at my fathers house wasn't really appreciated. After running appliances in the house like the fridge, freezer, tv, sat, and a few lights off of the bus' 2Kw inverter for a few days the bus became much more accepted.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:30 PM   #4
Almost There

back in '96 on our way out to OR in the "azalea" bus. JIC you guys ever wondered my dad built the majority of the framing with aluminum office wall studs to keep down on weight. in short it was a gigantic sail. we were in OK somewhere just off I40 at a truck stop and we heard tornado sirens! there was 1.5-2" hail and wind gusts i'm guessing around 60+ mph. i was 10 at the time. it was pretty freaky. luckily though, those skylights my dad built for the bus were made out of 1.25" thick plexi!

on a side note, it was almost as interesting as when the power steering quit on us when we were driving down I5 from portland back to eugene. like i said the bus acts like a sail, especially when 18 wheelers are flying past you.