Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545
Re: Stovepipe / flue and woodstove flooring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accordion
...It is a great feeling to be able to sit in the warmth and play something like this home made instrument. I did not make this instrument. A very creative guy who has a very cool Crown bus made it...
I'm sorry to digress, but that is the craziest instrument! If my eyes don't deceive me I'd say it was a solid body banjo with electric guitar pickups and whammy bar! And the duct tape pick guard - I'm at a loss for words...
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:29 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: CAT 1160 V-8 Diesel
Rated Cap: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dan
Quote:
...It is a great feeling to be able to sit in the warmth and play something like this home made instrument. I did not make this instrument. A very creative guy who has a very cool Crown bus made it...
I'm sorry to digress, but that is the craziest instrument! If my eyes don't deceive me I'd say it was a solid body banjo with electric guitar pickups and whammy bar! And the duct tape pick guard - I'm at a loss for words...
I have a feeling that we will all find out soon who made that Instrument.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:12 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dan
Quote:
I have a feeling that we will all find out soon who made that Instrument.
OZZY???????
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:26 PM   #14
Skoolie

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: DD 6-71N

Quote "Hopefully just building a small fire in it, the heat will not drive me out."

Seems logical but it doesn't work that way.
The smaller the fire the more creosote buildup. AND the harder it is to keep it going. I just had to change my stovepipe after 3 years. It wouldn't draw air at all because there was so much creosote buildup in the pipe. Before, I had a 3" expander to 4" double wall at the top of the stove. Up about 5' then thru a double wall elbo and outside thru the roof. EVEN THOUGH I was told by a man who builds stoves that if the stove was made by a pro stove maker the you will get the best draft and the stove will function better by using a pipe size the same size as the hole in the top of the stove. I thought, there will be creosote so it will be down to 3" in a little while anyway. I didn't have trouble cleaning the top of the pipe, I could get that from the out side and scrape it out, which I did about once a month. It was the 4" double wall from the top of the stove to the elbow that was the problem. It just didn't get hot enough. There was about 2" of hole in the creosote in the middle of the pipe. I thought it was working great until it started smoking me out. I just did what the man told me to do in the first place and put in 3" single wall pipe and it works better that it ever did. I get much more heat into the bus from the single wall pipe and hopefully I will not have to clean the pipe as often.
The bottom line is, even if you do everything perfectly, a wood stove is a giant pain in the ass. BUT how sweet it is to be toasty with nice even QUIET heat through out the bus. We do have a small fan pointed to the back of the bus to keep the humidity down in the bedroom.

Oh and yes I do play that thing every morning. Some kind of Rock and Roll

Hello Mr Accordian
good to see you around
Jerry Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:26 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: CAT 1160 V-8 Diesel
Rated Cap: 72

Quote:
I used to have to wait a couple of hours for my first bus to become warm enough to play guitar in it. I really do like a wood stove. I had one in my first bus. I was in New England.

It is a great feeling to be able to sit in the warmth and play something like this home made instrument. I did not make this instrument. A very creative guy who has a very cool Crown bus made it.

So the secret is out. It is indeed Jerry Campbell who made that unique instrument. I first started communicating with Jerry on that "other" bus site. I contributed very many posts there (way more than anyone else).

Jerry sent me an mp3 of him playing slide on that instrument. He is really good. I don't know how to post an mp3 on this forum. If you heard it, you would be amazed.

I know that my posts here are off topic, so let's return to our regularly scheduled program.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:58 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

Accordian, the way I see it, it is all good. Lots of times it is the asides rather than the regularly scheduled program that teach us and motivate us. Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:18 AM   #17
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt
Accordian, the way I see it, it is all good. Lots of times it is the asides rather than the regularly scheduled program that teach us and motivate us. Jack
I second that motion
travelinwithus is offline   Reply With Quote