Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2010, 07:27 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Strapping for undercarriage tanks?

I recall someone mentioned using metal straps to secure water tanks but I don't recall what the name is so search isn't pulling up the post.

What I need is a metal strapping thingy that can hold up tanks to the undercarriage. Think largest size I have is a 30gln barrel.

Can anyone give me a name or names for whatever this strap is called? Any good deal sources? What type to avoid? Alterntives even?

Seeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:28 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350
Re: Strapping for undercarriage tanks?

i use 3/8 ready rod with angle iron.HVAC shops use 16 guage hanger strap, its about 1and a half inches wide and comes in a huge roll.As long as you use at least 16 guage you will be fine
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:34 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
If I were mounting tanks under the bus, I'd get some 1" X 1/8" flat-stock...
Smitty, where would you find this type of metal? It doesn't sound like a Lowes type item...
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:51 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 93
Chassis: ?
Engine: 5.9 Cummins

Dan,
Go by the recycling place east of 35 on or about 4th st. Ask them if the have any bed frames. I bet they have alot. They also sale new material. There is a scrap yard off of Howard Ln too.

Lowes and home depot will have short sections of the stuff he is talking about but DO NOT buy it there when you can pay scrap prices.

Or, when I finish my racks underneath my bus you can have my left over bed frames. I bought enough to fill a truck bed.

S
swhite832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:08 AM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 93
Chassis: ?
Engine: 5.9 Cummins

It is true that some scrap metal price approach what they selling new metal for, cant figure that one out.

I know Im dropping some significant coin on metal for the deck. I just purchased ~700lbs of angle and square stock for about $400 from Triple S who is a major supplier. Some of the retail shops around Austin wanted twice that price. Crazy!!!

I think angle iron, all thread, possibly cradled in wood is what I'm going to do...depending on final desision concerning location of tanks.

Perhaps a friendly phone call to some bedding or furniture shops who offer free set up/haul off might score some free stuff....
swhite832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:48 PM   #6
Skoolie

What we did was put the plastic tank in place, a piece of rebar (sp?) under one side, basically had the tank jammed in place. Then we used two really heavy-duty ratchet tie-down straps. I forget what we put in to keep it from moving front to back, but that sucker's not going anywhere.
josetann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:34 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

You might check out some thrift stores as a source of metal bed framing (maybe a church thrift store). Posting in your local Freecycle may yield some results.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:21 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

My original thought was to make cutouts from treated lumber to match the curve of the barrel I will be using as a tank, and then use those long threaded bars to suspend it from the frame. I would also add a piece of angle iron under each of the wood cutouts for strength. Something like this:

The strapping idea sounds cheaper, but I guess I like the idea of having threads with nuts I can tighten. Seems like it might be difficult to get metal straps to fit tightly around the barrel.

In either case, I'm not sure how I would support it front to back, or is that not necessary?
Attached Thumbnails
tank support bracket.jpg  
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 01:40 AM   #9
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by josetann
What we did was put the plastic tank in place, a piece of rebar (sp?) under one side, basically had the tank jammed in place. Then we used two really heavy-duty ratchet tie-down straps. I forget what we put in to keep it from moving front to back, but that sucker's not going anywhere.
Where the heck you been? Haven't seen you around for a while Rebar is pretty soft, and has very little structural strength, and ratchet straps rot.....I'd certainly consider some steel strapping before you see your tank rolling down the road in your rear-view mirror.

Smitty
After driving back home from Alaska last year (second half of October, did hit some snow/ice on the roads), pretty much stayed at home until this month. We're in Fairbanks now, left the RV at my dad's (my little brother is taking care of our two remaining cats). Would have taken the RV again, but the hospital is providing housing AND a car rental (no way to opt out and just take the extra cash).

The rebar we used (are there different types?) seemed to be strong enough for the application. We used it more as a fail-safe, the straps are rated way over what we need, and are holding up fine. I think one thing that really weakens the straps is UV exposure, which these straps aren't really exposed to. I do keep an eye on things, and I try not to drive with a full waste tank. Doesn't mean I won't be posting in a few years about some disaster, but at least for now I'm not worried about it
josetann is offline   Reply With Quote