Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2005, 12:59 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Stripper Pole

Howdy ya'll. mmm..K so you see... I have this "Stripper pole" in my bus. I'm sure most of you won't need a descrip. but here's a pic.

It's that Pole near the front passenger side (Black looking pole thing) that the little Kiddies grab onto when they get in the bus... you know... the "Stripper Pole!!"

Anyhoo, I was wondering if this object adds any structural integrity to the rest of my rig. I'd hate to see the roof buckle (although I doubt this) but, It may help sorta hold the floor up in that area... ok now after reading that last sentance I think I may be on Crack... but hey, you never know. What I am thinking is that by tying into one of the roof braces, it may add strength to the stairs... iiiidunno (this is why I ask). I'm just making sure I have all my bases covered

Thanks for your help folks,
Keep on Truckin

Dan-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 06:23 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: ThomasBuilt
Chassis: International Harvester S-1700
Engine: 9L IHC V-8 Diesel 180HP
Rated Cap: 60
I doubt that it is structrual, but don't risk your life on my opinion! I am not familiar with short busses (no, honestly, I didn't ride one to school), and they may have structural design characteristics different from my bus (which I am famliar with). Well, obviously they have some different characteristics! What am I thinking? But I mean, maybe that is structural in your bus. You might be able to tell by the way it is fastened in. Welded or screwed in with a flange of some kind? If it is screwed in, I'd bet it's not structural (but it's not my life I'm betting with....)
Eric von Kleist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 07:56 PM   #3
Bus Nut

When I was in elementary school I rode a 1974 Ford/Bluebird bus. It had the stripper poles as well. The reason they have them is because they did not put a seat back type thing mounted to the floor then. The newer buses all have a seat back type thing with the padded vinyl to protect the riders in the two front seats. The older buses they just put the stripper poles and a piece of sheet metal below them to keep the kids from flying forward in a panic stop. They are not structural at all so rip it out if you don't like it. Hey Lepeer you should put a stripper pole in the new jaccuzi bus, .
busone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 09:39 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Well, seeing as it is only screwed in, im gonna chance it and take it out.....

hmmmm... nothing has fallen apart yet, seems solid.
Im pretty secure with my decision, but... if anyone has any input as to why I shouldn't take it out, now would be a good time to hear it

Until then... Lepeer... I got a Stripper pole here for ya.... Real Cheap!

Cheers ya'll
Old 07-21-2005, 09:41 PM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 1987
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 366 Gas
Well........I don't know what it will do for your bus but.... It got my interest going.......
Old 07-22-2005, 10:30 AM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: DD 6-71N
Stripper Pole yes or no

We've put about 10k on our bus since last fall and I never noticed that I didn't have a pole. Until we were in Minnesota for a wife's family gathering. There were a lot of OLD people. They made it in without much help but The getting out part was a lot more difficult. They could not just step off into a giant hole in the floor without something to hang on to. Since then I've been watching people as they exit the bus and they all, just for a moment seem to hesitate and look for something to grab. SO I'm putting a pole in. I'll find a nice one out in the woods somewhere. Thats my story.
Jerry
1975 Crown
Jerry Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 12:47 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Yes, I have now decided to put my stripper pole back in. I have found that I am not as agile as I used to be and I have found that over the time that I have had this bus, become a little dependant on that good ol pole. Mostly just for hoisting myself in.

Besides... it's a "Stripper pole"... you never know who might be dropping by.

Old 07-22-2005, 02:26 PM   #8
Skoolie

Send a message via ICQ to Firearm Send a message via AIM to Firearm
Ok, I looked at all your photos and saw a "stripper pole", but no stripper. It's kinda like seeing a leash with no dog or a saddle with no horse.
Firearm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 03:41 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH S1723
Engine: IH V345 Gas V8
Rated Cap: 66
Maybe the previous owner had to remove the stripper due to driver integrity. . . lost stability on the road?
Old 07-22-2005, 03:53 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: ThomasBuilt
Chassis: International Harvester S-1700
Engine: 9L IHC V-8 Diesel 180HP
Rated Cap: 60
Eric von Kleist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 04:06 PM   #11
Skoolie

Send a message via ICQ to Firearm Send a message via AIM to Firearm
True, the weight would be shifting side to side while the stripper went around. Hey, abdabbs' bus has a real "stipper pole" in it so maybe he'd know.

Firearm is offline   Reply With Quote