Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-25-2018, 07:19 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Stucco?

For my cabinet facings, I've jumped from beadboard, to painted plywood, and now thinking about stucco. It would be a very light coat (just enough for coverage), and very low 'nap' for easier cleaning. I've done it in houses, but basements don't travel down dirt roads at 30 mph.

Vibration and humidity swings are my main concerns....anyone tried this?

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 10:32 PM   #2

Don't use stucco...just use the spray-on texturing to suit whatever pattern you like.
JRandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 02:46 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Why would humidity be a concern? Stucco is used on the exterior of homes that get rained on continually with no detrimental issues
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 03:17 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
I would avoid stucco simply because it is so brittle. Same reason I would never use cement or conventional grout anywhere on a vehicle. I would guess that road and engine vibration would take its' toll very quickly.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 07:12 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRandall View Post
Don't use stucco...just use the spray-on texturing to suit whatever pattern you like.
Wasn't even aware of this stuff, but a Google search shows all kinds of textures available....thanks for pointing that out!

The Busted Flush
Old 12-26-2018, 07:18 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
I would avoid stucco simply because it is so brittle. Same reason I would never use cement or conventional grout anywhere on a vehicle. I would guess that road and engine vibration would take its' toll very quickly.
Agree with your points.

I was hoping maybe someone did this and modified the stucco mixture somehow to make it work....never know 'til you ask.

The Busted Flush
Old 12-26-2018, 08:25 PM   #7

I have used the spray-on texture for several projects...it never goes as far as the claims on the can. Buy twice as much as you think you need.
JRandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 08:49 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Forget about what works in a house! A bus, like a boat, needs entirely different design and construction criteria - houses don't do 60MPH. Bus conversion interiors need to be lightweight (helps keep the CoG low), able to flex and move a bit, able to expand and contract with changes to temperature and humidity, have easily-cleanable surfaces, and should look bright and airy to help make the interior look as spacious as possible. Stucco isn't really the best for all that!

My overhead cabinets will be framed from aluminum, with non-structural doors and panels made from 1/4" plywood faced with Celtec 1/8" board. Simple, lightweight, VERY strong, easily cleanable, looks good. I'm using the pale grey Celtec on all the interior walls, and it looks good next to the pale pine trim around the windows and next to the aluminum ends of the divider walls.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 07:08 PM   #9

I did a super thin, wide-troweled, stucco inspired finish on my wall between lower and upper cabinets, and above uppers (raise the roof!). I’m very happy with it.
What I did was:
-Covered the wall (this is a wall I framed across 1/3 of the interior width) with 1/8” mahogany (cheap and flat!)
-filled the gap between two sheets with latex caulking.
-used a wide trowel to build up the seam with more caulking (so the crack wouldn’t crack, as the sulking is flexible).
-mixed up a thinset for tile and did a super thin coat over the whole flat of the wall.
-painted it.
I wanted a hand made/troweled type finish, so I made my not-a-pattern-pattern of strokes visible, instead of aiming for flat, which would have been super easy to achieve.
Very happy with it.
It very much looks like a drywall wall, despite being very lightweight, and having subtle texture.
BusBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 07:47 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusBus View Post
I did a super thin, wide-troweled, stucco inspired finish on my wall between lower and upper cabinets, and above uppers (raise the roof!). I’m very happy with it.
I KNEW there were too many innovative and creative folks on this site for someone not to have tried this. Thank you for the reply....sounds like it worked out well. Due to the lack of any positive feedback, I decided to go with vinyl tile instead, and have been hip-deep in the installation these last 2 weekends...should finish today or tomorrow. Infinitely more tedious than any of my other options would have been, but I'm really liking the look of it.

The Busted Flush
Old 04-29-2023, 07:38 PM   #11

Year: 2002
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT C7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusBus View Post
What I did was:
-Covered the wall (this is a wall I framed across 1/3 of the interior width) with 1/8” mahogany (cheap and flat!)
-filled the gap between two sheets with latex caulking.
-used a wide trowel to build up the seam with more caulking (so the crack wouldn’t crack, as the sulking is flexible).
-mixed up a thinset for tile and did a super thin coat over the whole flat of the wall.
-painted it.
I wanted a hand made/troweled type finish, so I made my not-a-pattern-pattern of strokes visible, instead of aiming for flat, which would have been super easy to achieve.
Very happy with it.
It very much looks like a drywall wall, despite being very lightweight, and having subtle texture.
Just came across this thread and am thinking about doing something similar. How has this method held up over the years? Could you share some photos?
Appa.thomas2002 is offline   Reply With Quote