Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2018, 04:23 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Stuck in Reverse.

My bus was stuck in limp mode in 2nd gear. I'm told it could have been something as minor as a blown fuse. I'm looking at another bus that is stuck in reverse. Any ideas on what may cause that? 1990 BlueBird, probably a 545?

o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 05:59 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
My bus was stuck in limp mode in 2nd gear. I'm told it could have been something as minor as a blown fuse. I'm looking at another bus that is stuck in reverse. Any ideas on what may cause that? 1990 BlueBird, probably a 545?
mechanical trans.. its likely the shift cable is broken or is stretched.. depending on the shifter it has.. some of the shifters were gated and if the shifter itself jammed.. (the release button got stuck) then you couldnt physically move it out of reverse..

nevertheless in 1990 everything weas mechanical. and unless only reverse works (and forward gears are no-motion) then id bet its a shift-cable issue.. if a bus sat for a long time that shift cable can get moisture in it and rust to where it wont move in the jacket.

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 06:17 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
mechanical trans.. its likely the shift cable is broken or is stretched.. depending on the shifter it has.. some of the shifters were gated and if the shifter itself jammed.. (the release button got stuck) then you couldnt physically move it out of reverse..

nevertheless in 1990 everything weas mechanical. and unless only reverse works (and forward gears are no-motion) then id bet its a shift-cable issue.. if a bus sat for a long time that shift cable can get moisture in it and rust to where it wont move in the jacket.

-Christopher
Sounds like an easy fix to an issue that is bringing the price of the bus down by $1500.
Will it being stuck in reverse cause it to not start? Is there a lockout unless it's in park?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 06:34 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
most busses do have a neutral safety switch that wont let it start in R.. ,but someone may have bypassed it.. I know on my navistar it was as easy as unplugging the neutral safety plugs from the trans and plugging them together.. (not sure on that chassis).. be interesting to see if the shifter appears to move through the gears or if its jammed.. if its jammed you may very well be able to disconnect the cable and turn the position lever underneath to 'D' and just never park the bus anywhere that you need to back up till you get it home.

if its air brakes the engine will never overcome the spring breaks.. and will still start in 'D' without issues..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 10:24 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I'm looking at another bus that is stuck in reverse. Any ideas on what may cause that? 1990 BlueBird, probably a 545?
I have had a couple of cars and trucks get stuck in reverse or other gears.

A couple of times it was the shift mechanism I was able to free it up by prying the pieces around with a flat head screw driver.

Unfortunately a couple of times it was the end of the life of the tranny.
ACamper is offline   Reply With Quote