Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2018, 05:30 PM   #61
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: not sure
Engine: Catepillar 3126B not Cummins
Rated Cap: not sure
Hey everyone, long time no write. Because of a domino affect, I've finally started stripping the bus a couple weeks ago. Now my questions. 1) has anyone decided to keep the original a.c. units? 2) Has anyone has or had a bus with a wc lift and they decided to use it to store a motorcycle or did they decide to just store the bike in the back? What did they do with it if they stayed the winter somewhere.
3)I don't know anything about hitches so you'll know why this one is unusual. If you do store the bike in the back of the bus, is it also possible to tow a vehicle in the back of the bus as well?

skytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 05:41 PM   #62
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytz View Post
Hey everyone, long time no write. Because of a domino affect, I've finally started stripping the bus a couple weeks ago. Now my questions. 1) has anyone decided to keep the original a.c. units? 2) Has anyone has or had a bus with a wc lift and they decided to use it to store a motorcycle or did they decide to just store the bike in the back? What did they do with it if they stayed the winter somewhere.
3)I don't know anything about hitches so you'll know why this one is unusual. If you do store the bike in the back of the bus, is it also possible to tow a vehicle in the back of the bus as well?
Not sure I understand what you mean about the lift and storing a motorcycle? My original plan was to have a separate room at the rear for motorcycle storage. I had intended to use the W fit on the side door for loading bikes, but that put the bikes in the back in the wrong orientation. I was going to widen the WC lift and mount it at the back door, wide enough for ATV's. Was does winter have do to with anything? Yes, you can store motorcycles inside the bus and still tow a toad behind it.
A WC lift is not long enough for motorcycles and would need to be modified to put a bike on it.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 05:48 PM   #63
Bus Nut

Quote:
I know it's too early to even consider wall studs, but been I've dying to know if anyone has used metal studs instead of wood. If so would you recommend using them? And how do you go about using them.
Look up "blue collar preacher" on YT

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 05:56 PM   #64
Bus Nut

Quote:
These next pictures are of the layout I taped out. The bus is a total of 300 inches from back door to just a few inches short from the back of the driver's seat. 66 inches will be walled off from the rest of the bus for my little garage and storage area. I will be gutting the whole inside of the bus, but there are some obstacles that I am facing, hopefully you can give me some advice. Also the 1st pictures I uploaded, the bathroom and bed are reversed. As you can see the strip of metal on the 1st one is 2 inches, as well as the 2d where the metal juts out. The 3rd the picture is the wall dividing which is also 2 inches wide. In the previous pictures, the bed and bathroom are both even. The problem is the only access to make the bed is from the bottom of the bed, that's a no go for me. So you can shower I'm planning on using is a corner shower where the front is round not square. The toilet wll be a composting toilet. but I'm looking for one where the lengh of it will not impede access to the shower. I kind of fudged on the bike I have, technically it's a scooter. It's a honda forza 300, its 300cc. Don't ask me why, but to me I feel like I'm disrespecting it by calling it a scooter. That word is meant for the less powerful ones. To me it's a motorcycle. Weird huh, oh well. Now this where the obstacle that I running into. You can see in the 2d picture where the cover juts out. In order to maximize the space, that has to go but I don't know what its covering. Can you help?
Nice bike, built to look like a scooter...I don't consider anything bigger than 150cc a scooter

Old 03-05-2018, 06:09 PM   #65
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I believe the lifts are rated at 800lbs, which means it will handle 1000 without issue. I saw the video you posted and it clearly shows the extension modification needed for loading bikes. Loading them in the video looks easy, I wanna see some unloading videos.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:57 PM   #66
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgsfanasty View Post
Nice bike, built to look like a scooter...I don't consider anything bigger than 150cc a scooter

Ok you caught me fudging a little. Technically it is a scooter, but because it's a 300cc, I can't call it that. So motorbike or bike.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:07 PM   #67
Skoolie

I guess my questions were too vague. My 1st idea is to use the lift for my bike as storage and tow my vehicle at the same time. My 2d idea is to rig the bike to the back of the bus. If I do that, will it make it impossible to tow the vehicle because of the bike rig. Hopefully that makes it clearer.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:16 PM   #68
Bus Geek

Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Ok you caught me fudging a little. Technically it is a scooter, but because it's a 300cc, I can't call it that. So motorbike or bike.
Scooter is a body style, not an engine size.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:23 PM   #69
Bus Nut

Quote:
Trust me...I consider your "scooter" a bike...

Old 03-05-2018, 09:27 PM   #70
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Funny...I'm so old school I still call anything with a motor and two wheels a "scooter". But...some of my Harley friends doth protesteth.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:35 PM   #71
Skoolie

Ok guys tomato, TOMATO. Could I get answers about the questions I've asked? Thanks.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:40 PM   #72
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Funny...I'm so old school I still call anything with a motor and two wheels a "scooter". But...some of my Harley friends doth protesteth.
LMAO...

Old 03-05-2018, 09:40 PM   #73
Bus Nut

Quote:
Ok guys tomato, TOMATO. Could I get answers about the questions I've asked? Thanks.
[emoji23]

Old 03-05-2018, 09:49 PM   #74
Bus Geek

Quote:
1. Several people keep them, some remove them. It's a matter for you. If they are R22 and damaged they might not be worth saving.

2. The lift will need mods to raise a motorcycle. Yes, it can be done (and has been)

3. Curt will have a Class V hitch that can be adapted to fit. They have one for most buses but you may need to drill some holes or have a good welder work with you. Yes, you can tow and carry on a rear hitch but watch the max load on the rear axle.

Build Thread
Old 03-05-2018, 10:06 PM   #75
Skoolie

Thank you Twigg, really appreciate it.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:02 AM   #76
Skoolie

The weight of my vehicle is around 3600 lbs. My bus engine is a cat 3126b, not exact sure what size Allison transmission.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:30 AM   #77
Bus Geek

Quote:
The weight of my vehicle is around 3600 lbs. My bus engine is a cat 3126b, not exact sure what size Allison transmission.
Pretty sure you vehicle weighs much more than 3600 lbs. Your engine weighs 1500 lbs.

Pay no heed to the weight plates. They are maximum laden weights. To know what it weighs you have to get it weighed. Any truck stop will do that for a small fee.

Build Thread
Old 03-06-2018, 08:03 AM   #78
Skoolie

Quote:
I guess my questions were too vague. My 1st idea is to use the lift for my bike as storage and tow my vehicle at the same time. My 2d idea is to rig the bike to the back of the bus. If I do that, will it make it impossible to tow the vehicle because of the bike rig. Hopefully that makes it clearer.
I don’t know the name of it but I’ve seen a setup on a few class A MH’s where the bike rides across the back and there’s a hitch under the platform the bike rides on. This allows you to take the bike and your car/trailer. Wish I could remember the name.
RRRVBUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 12:21 AM   #79
Skoolie

Well it's been a long time coming, I'm back. It's been a slow process, but here it is so far. I've got a 5lb bucket of screws to start with, which took me forever to take out. I started with this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180408_155538399_HDR.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	202.3 KB
ID:	21198

Name:	IMG_20180408_154449470_HDR.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	215.4 KB
ID:	21199

Now I'm almost done with this part.

Name:	31150267_1842789649115034_1276413698541355008_n.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	264.4 KB
ID:	21200

I'm still trying to bring down the rest of the ceiling. Now this is where I need input. As you can see from the first two pictures, those dark lines are tracks which are used to keep wheelchairs imobilized during transit. They are bolted through the underside of the bus. If I want to pull the floor, I'll have to cut through 200+ bolts in order to do that. I've been told that the floor looks solid, so there's no reason to do such a thing, just build over it. My issue is that pesky question What if? There's is leakage coming through the strobe light which did damage over time. My concern is what can't be seen.