Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2018, 08:17 PM   #1

Subfloor adhesive vs XPS insulation

I'm planning on gluing down my 1" XPS foam board straight to my prepped and painted metal bus floor, then gluing 23/32 Advantech tongue and grove subfloor straight to the foam. I got my hands on a combination of Liquid Nail Heavy Duty Interior/Exterior adhesive, DAP subfloor and deck adhesive(interior/exterior), and TiteBond Subfloor adhesive (interior/exterior). Anyone have a reason why this would be a bad combo? The DAP product has a note that says it's not for use with "rigid plastic". XPS doesn't qualify as a "rigid plastic" for some reason, does it? Any reason anyone else can think of for not using any of these products for this application? I'm only planning on doing this once....

Thanks!

Tinglemd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:03 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DTA360
That is WEIRD. I’m literally installing the same setup tomorrow. Advantec and XPS 1 inch. However as the adhesive I am using pl premium. If the adhesive doesn’t state not for use with foams, it should be fine. It is the solvent based adhesives that screw with foam composition. Like lexel etc.
thrifty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:20 PM   #3

Man, that is crazy. Thanks for chiming in. Where are you in the upstate? I have good friends in Greenville, SC.
Tinglemd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 06:43 AM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DTA360
I live in spartanburg but work pretty much in Greenville at bmw. Holler if you ever come down we will have to grab a brewski.
thrifty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 12:56 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000RE
Engine: T444E w/ MT643
Rated Cap: 84 pass, 40'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinglemd View Post
I'm planning on gluing down my 1" XPS foam board straight to my prepped and painted metal bus floor, then gluing 23/32 Advantech tongue and grove subfloor straight to the foam. I got my hands on a combination of Liquid Nail Heavy Duty Interior/Exterior adhesive, DAP subfloor and deck adhesive(interior/exterior), and TiteBond Subfloor adhesive (interior/exterior). Anyone have a reason why this would be a bad combo? The DAP product has a note that says it's not for use with "rigid plastic". XPS doesn't qualify as a "rigid plastic" for some reason, does it? Any reason anyone else can think of for not using any of these products for this application? I'm only planning on doing this once....

Thanks!
Just do a test piece to make sure it doesn't eat your foam. I wanted to use advantech T&G but couldn't get it. Would have been so much easier to install and seriously hardy.
Old 07-04-2018, 01:46 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

I did the same as Tingland. Worked great.
bhaley51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adhesive, insulation, subfloor