Old 02-27-2010, 10:39 AM   #11
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: C60
Engine: Chevy 7.4l 454 FI
Rated Cap: 59
Re: Subfloor Installation

I agree, I intend to prime my floor first so the primer gets in all of the holes good, then seal the holes up. anywhere you let water in is only gonna cause trouble. When I stripped my wood flooring out I realized they put the floor down and then put the trans cover ontop the wood. that left the entire edge of the wood around the trans exposed to water being splashed up and also allowed it to get under the floor. when I do it I am sealing my cover down metal to metal and cutting my wood around the cover.
ramairws601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:51 AM   #12
Skoolie

I figured I'd just use this thread instead of start a new one..
So I have used roof sealant on all the roof seams and am recaulking all the win does which should bring me to the point of being able to put my subfloor down. The holes in floor are patched with silicone and aluminum tape then primed and painted with rustoleum. Also used ospho to clean up the rust before painting. The materials I got for the subfloor are 1in 25 psi foam board insulation and 3/4 plywood. I also got 1/2 in plywood that I cut into 2in wide strips. I was planning to stack 2 strips and run them around the perimeter using the self tapping TEK screws and PL premium. I was also going to put one runner down the middle and possibly one where each plywood seam will go. I was planning to screw the plywood into the strips but not through the metal. It seems it would also be wise to space the plywood sheets by 1/8 in and away from the walls by 1/4 in. How far apart can/should my screws be on either application? I got some 30 roofing felt... should that go under the plywood or under the insulation? If it goes under the insulation should I put plastic over the insulation so it doesn't squeeking against the plywood? What is best to put between my gaps of plywood to fill the cracks? Also should I space my runners that go around the perimeter away from the wall? Should I even use the runners around the perimeter? Any advice or opinions welcome as I am tackling the floor tomorrow. And I already bought the plywood Nat so probably gonna do this in some fasion. Hehe. Not a lot of the build threads seem to go into much detail and I'm a little ocd and feel the need to ask before tackling it but thanks to this website I was able to get this far with a plan
EricW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 11:31 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: Cat 3126e
Rated Cap: 28
Hey EricW,

I Just did the same thing roughly. I used great stuff to fill in the cracks and it seemed to work great. On one board i did not cut it small enough and it seemed to bow. That would be my biggest tip if using great stuff, just leave room for it to expand. I put screws in every 6" or so and a couple extra on the corners. Here is how I did it, hope it helps.

Josiahdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 11:37 AM   #14

I want to forewarn anyone that's going to put in insulation on your subfloor that as you can see in the video this enthusiasts built up the floor so much that his head is now hitting the ceiling. This is not a factor in most buses since there's plenty of height room. Be very careful on what subfloor you choose and what insulation and how you're going to install it because you're going to be making your floor thicker and thicker thus removing headroom . Ouch I already hit my head just watching the video
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiahdr View Post
Hey EricW,

I Just did the same thing roughly. I used great stuff to fill in the cracks and it seemed to work great. On one board i did not cut it small enough and it seemed to bow. That would be my biggest tip if using great stuff, just leave room for it to expand. I put screws in every 6" or so and a couple extra on the corners. Here is how I did it, hope it helps.

California Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 11:38 AM   #15

And he doesn't even have the interior roof set up yet . Ouch I just hit my head again
California Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 12:05 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
Quote:
Originally Posted by California Dreamer View Post
And he doesn't even have the interior roof set up yet . Ouch I just hit my head again
He may be planning on doing a roof raise...
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 01:31 PM   #17
Skoolie

I unfortunately am not doing a roof raise due to my lack of knowledge and time but don't plan on doing a crazy amount of standing. Cooking may be a pain but perhaps I'll devise a comfortable way to sit or kneel like a memory foam topped stool type deal. I figure most of my time will be spent sitting, laying down or adventuring outside the bus. I think the extra insulation will be of more value than an extra inch of headroom.
EricW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 08:31 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: Cat 3126 7.2 / Allison AT545
Rated Cap: 77 Passenger
I JUST got my bus down to the metal floor. I have NO extra headroom... what is the best minimal thing to do to the floors!!??
PoolRoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 08:47 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC 1000
Engine: 5.9
Send a message via Yahoo to Robin97396
Linoleum?

If I had no room to insulate I'd put down carpet during the winter. Disposable carpet. It actually insulates quite well by itself and reduces condensation during cold weather. Synthetic materials would the best.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:11 PM   #20
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolRoom View Post
I JUST got my bus down to the metal floor. I have NO extra headroom... what is the best minimal thing to do to the floors!!??
Wear slippers.

Or-