Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-18-2017, 07:46 PM   #1
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 150
Question Subfloor materials and question

Hi.

I went to homedepot and a local plywood store here in Vancouver, BC and after looking around I have some questions :

I want to use 1.5 inch thick pink Foamular or similar for the floor insulation base on my research looks like I should use c250 base on the limit of weight it can withstand but I'm building a frame that will be screw in floor so I don't know if I can just use C200 ?

For the frame I was going to pick 2x2 in pine but they have in fir and cedar so I wonder with one will be better for the floor in case there is some water leakage in the future ? ( for walls and ceiling I might use pine)

Since I was worried about water damage I was going with 3/4 inch Marine plywood but it is $120 CAD per sheet so I checked in home depot and they have sanded maple C3 plywood and I was thinking to use that but on this I have some questions :

which one should I go for, marine ? if I was going to install a seat bench and seat belts can I put a metal plate under the plywood and then screw the seat to that , and in that case either plywood will be ok strength wise ? or do I have to go through the metal floor ? ( to comply with the law.....).

Any experience with water damage and something that you regret not doing before building the floor ?

And a question for shorty owners with chevy van fronts: what did you do between the bus body and the cabin to go all the way flat with the floor ? ( in my bus the metal floor on the back is higher than the original van floor so if I use the same foam I will have to use double foam to make it as high as the back so I don't know if I should build a step there or not. I haven't be able to find pictures of other builds subfloor)

Thanks.
pepepito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 01:19 AM   #2
Skoolie
 
Bon Voyage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 113
Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins ISC 260/660
Rated Cap: 81
Not sure about your insulation but if I were you I'd use pressure treated wood on the floor. Maybe not plywood but for the stuff that's is right against the metal.

I don't believe there are any laws that stipulate how a custom vehicle installs seat belts. Laws probably only apply to vehicle manufacturers. However for the seat belt to be effective I'd anchor the seats in the metal floor.

I don't have a shorty but I'd probably try to keep it one level in there. Just my preference.

Hope that helps a little


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bon Voyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 01:49 AM   #3
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 150
AFAIK pressure treated wood is corrosive against metal and has some nasty stuff on it, it was advise to me not to use it.
pepepito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 06:24 AM   #4
Bus Nut
 
superdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: hills of sw virginia
Posts: 889
Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
the foam board will handle any weight we put in the bus, no need to frame. just use regular plywood or advantec is also good. I ordered self drilling screws from ebay and screwed it down. good luck
__________________
living in a bus down by the river.
my build pics
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/membe...albums942.html
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 06:51 AM   #5
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 18,244
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave View Post
the foam board will handle any weight we put in the bus, no need to frame. just use regular plywood or advantec is also good. I ordered self drilling screws from ebay and screwed it down. good luck
Dave's floor is SOLID.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 02:24 PM   #6
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 11,648
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
we were walking on foam? wow i never even knew..
-Christopher
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 06:08 PM   #7
Skoolie
 
Bon Voyage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 113
Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins ISC 260/660
Rated Cap: 81
So what did superdave do? Foam with plywood right on top? No wood "floor joists" to hold the plywood up?
Bon Voyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 06:13 PM   #8
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 18,244
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bon Voyage View Post
So what did superdave do? Foam with plywood right on top? No wood "floor joists" to hold the plywood up?
Wood over foam. Sounds and feels SOLID!!!!
Same route I'm taking.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 06:36 PM   #9
Bus Nut
 
Phatman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Brazoria County, Texas
Posts: 305
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepepito View Post
Hi.

I went to homedepot and a local plywood store here in Vancouver, BC and after looking around I have some questions :

I want to use 1.5 inch thick pink Foamular or similar for the floor insulation base on my research looks like I should use c250 base on the limit of weight it can withstand but I'm building a frame that will be screw in floor so I don't know if I can just use C200 ?

For the frame I was going to pick 2x2 in pine but they have in fir and cedar so I wonder with one will be better for the floor in case there is some water leakage in the future ? ( for walls and ceiling I might use pine)

Since I was worried about water damage I was going with 3/4 inch Marine plywood but it is $120 CAD per sheet so I checked in home depot and they have sanded maple C3 plywood and I was thinking to use that but on this I have some questions :

which one should I go for, marine ? if I was going to install a seat bench and seat belts can I put a metal plate under the plywood and then screw the seat to that , and in that case either plywood will be ok strength wise ? or do I have to go through the metal floor ? ( to comply with the law.....).

Any experience with water damage and something that you regret not doing before building the floor ?

And a question for shorty owners with chevy van fronts: what did you do between the bus body and the cabin to go all the way flat with the floor ? ( in my bus the metal floor on the back is higher than the original van floor so if I use the same foam I will have to use double foam to make it as high as the back so I don't know if I should build a step there or not. I haven't be able to find pictures of other builds subfloor)

Thanks.
You don't want to use any cabinet grade plywood on the floor. There is really nothing wrong with it but you are wasting your money. You need a good exterior BC (sanded on one side) plywood. If you are worried about leaks, then I would suggest you pinpoint those leaks and make the repairs. Water is an unbelievably destructive force. If that leak finds its way to that maple plywood, it will delaminate pretty quickly. Then you will find yourself somewhere taking it all apart. More work. I hate doing things twice. EVEN IF I'M GETTING PAID FOR IT.
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 08:02 PM   #10
Bus Geek
 
Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 8,462
Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Better yet...real marine ply. Never saw an RV yet that didn't have substantial water on the floor at some point in its' life.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.