Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2018, 10:03 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Chassis: Bluebird All American RE
Engine: Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Subfloor paint prep questions

Just picked up a rust converter by Krud Cutter at the local hardware store. It says it turns the metal black!?! Do all of them (like Ospho) do that, or is it just this one?

Do I need to de-grease before applying?

Also, any suggestion for type of caulk to use to re-seal the floor/wall seam and or fill bolt holes? What is that stuff I've been fighting with to get the subfloor out, that seems like it would work!

Sorry, total n00b to body work!

ekyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 10:20 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Yes, they all turn the rust black during the conversion process.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 10:28 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Yes, they all turn the rust black during the conversion process.
Oh the RUST turns black? That makes a helluva lot more sense!

Any idea on the best sealant? Someone at the hardware store mentioned a pretty expensive waterproof marine caulking, but also a "water-resistant" epoxy?
Old 07-30-2018, 01:38 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000RE
Engine: T444E w/ MT643
Rated Cap: 84 pass, 40'
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekyoung View Post
Oh the RUST turns black? That makes a helluva lot more sense!

Any idea on the best sealant? Someone at the hardware store mentioned a pretty expensive waterproof marine caulking, but also a "water-resistant" epoxy?
Sikkaflex worked well to hold small pieces of metal down and seal over the holes. Someone else suggested it and we did it. I ordered it from walmart.com. it's an adhesive and sealant.
Old 07-30-2018, 02:36 PM   #5
Skoolie

Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84lug
Quote:
Just picked up a rust converter by Krud Cutter at the local hardware store. It says it turns the metal black!?! Do all of them (like Ospho) do that, or is it just this one?

Do I need to de-grease before applying?

Also, any suggestion for type of caulk to use to re-seal the floor/wall seam and or fill bolt holes? What is that stuff I've been fighting with to get the subfloor out, that seems like it would work!

Sorry, total n00b to body work!
Look on Amazon for industrial 6% vinegar its cheap and works like a champ and is non toxic without leaving a residue behind...
any auto parts store will have a seam sealer made by 3M-- don't skimp buy the 3m. Then just spray in your floor like I did with Lizard Skin or do the floating sub-floor like most do.
https://youtu.be/f6xCw2JPKtg around the 3:40 mark you can see our Lizard skin results. I'll have a new better video of the final results soon. Good luck!
Old 08-01-2018, 04:51 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyInTN View Post
Look on Amazon for industrial 6% vinegar its cheap and works like a champ and is non toxic without leaving a residue behind...
any auto parts store will have a seam sealer made by 3M-- don't skimp buy the 3m. Then just spray in your floor like I did with Lizard Skin or do the floating sub-floor like most do.
https://youtu.be/f6xCw2JPKtg around the 3:40 mark you can see our Lizard skin results. I'll have a new better video of the final results soon. Good luck!
Is the lizard skin like RhinoLiner? Also did you remove any of the grey gooey adhesive that was around the floorboards and wheel wells?
That stuff is really difficult to deal with! I just wanna primer over it, but I also want a good weather seal!!
Old 08-01-2018, 10:01 PM   #7
Skoolie

Quote:
Is the lizard skin like RhinoLiner? Also did you remove any of the grey gooey adhesive that was around the floorboards and wheel wells?
That stuff is really difficult to deal with! I just wanna primer over it, but I also want a good weather seal!!
Yes it’s like rhino liner in final texture but diff in Functionality. Yes we chiseled out all the goo with wood chisels and a long wide head standard screwdriver driven by a hammer. I don’t miss that job it was horrible. Removed every inch of trim as well. Sigh
Old 08-01-2018, 10:22 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

With WOOD chisels? Mine is so gooey it strecthes all over the place! Sigh. Guess I'll do the hard work...
Old 08-02-2018, 10:05 AM   #9
Skoolie

Quote:
With WOOD chisels? Mine is so gooey it strecthes all over the place! Sigh. Guess I'll do the hard work...
Put a bit of oil on your tools you use to dig it out with so it doesn't stick as much.. It's worth doing. The gunk I scraped out was in bad shape. I put Lizard Skin down on a clean surface and then added a bit of 3m seam sealer in a few places. Good luck!