Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2008, 10:30 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: 7.3 International Diesel
Rated Cap: 72
Suggestions for slide out seals?

Hey everyone just need some help with my slide outs. I built them into the side of the bus and they basically are giant drawers. I used five sets of heavy duty drawer guides rated at 500 lbs each making total weight capacity 2500 lbs and they are solid let me tell ya. BUt the problem I have is finding a decent seal for the edges both for when it is open and when it is closed. The outside wall that slides out is larger than the box that moves in and out so I have an overlap all the way around so I have some room for something but the best I can come up with is a residential door weather stripping, perhaps two rows of these to give better insulation value. I don't know the auto industry very well, is there something out there that would work a little better. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lady Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 11:51 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: Suggestions for slide out seals?

try tri state surplus, an ebay power seller, also rv surplus salvage, or bontragers, they are all in the elkhart ind area and either have or can get just about anything rv related that your heart could desire.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:05 PM   #3
Bus Nut

I sure would like to see some pictures of that slide-out being built??

What you need is the real McCoy... CLICK HERE for actual Slide-out seals... they sell them by the foot $3 - $8 per foot...

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:13 AM   #4
Skoolie

You may consider looking at the seals for the bottom of roll-down garage doors, like they sell at Lowes, Home Depot, the local hardware store.
Wide, can be glued on (good luck finding a good glue), can be secured with a long strip/strap so only the edge flexes to seal.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:19 PM   #5
Skoolie

I think the garage door seal would be a good idea. For our slide we looked into the real stuff, but yes, it is very expensive. It is, however a one time expense. We ended up using a 1/2" thick closed cell foam and regular weatherstrip for our slide which seems to work well. But the fact of the matter is, we are not in Canada or Alaska. I can't wait to see the side slides. I want to do one(two) on our next bus. Nice job. Keep the pics coming.
reprobate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:50 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

that bus is starting to look like a real canuck herd hauler thats some pretty nice fabbing you may need 2 heaters in the winter out there for all that living space! you may be able to fab up slide seals with conveyor belt from the farm? nice website timbuk
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 11:43 AM   #7
Skoolie

Re: Thanks for the input!

Ya I think I will check out the garage door seals they sound like they might work. I will try to post some more pics of the slide outs and other things we are up to. Picking up my four 55 gallon water tanks in a few weeks then I can install them and finish lowering the sides of the bus. I need deeper pockets! Here are some pics of the slide out being fabricated in the side of the bus. This is the largest of the two, where the futon will go. We have one more in the office. The largest slide out slides out 24" and the smallest is only 18".
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_1495resized.jpg   DSC_1502resized.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 09-28-2008, 09:19 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Too cool, thanks for posting those pictures...

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 10:17 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

That's just way too cool. I think my next bus might need to have slides. Are you planning on running slide savers? I think the little drop down legs might really help to stabilize things and will help those drawer slides last longer. I know a lot of people with stick 'n staples use them since slides seem to become problematic after a few years.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:36 PM   #10
Skoolie

The drop down legs are an option but by my calculations we will be 1500 pounds under the slides ratings so I don't know if I will install any. But I am curious what slide savers are? And what are stick' n staples? Forgive my ignorance. Great to get positive feedback though, gotta say it sure is encouraging coming here and strolling through the inspiring conversation and pictures of all your great conversions... inspiring! I find trying to work just to makle money for this epic task is sometimes... well... hard to stay focussed. But I will win eventually.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:47 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Quote:
And what are stick' n staples? Forgive my ignorance.
"Stick 'n staples" is a term sometimes used to describe many/most factory-built motor homes and trailers. It is derived from the description of what can be found sandwiched between the fancy interior cabinets and fancy plastic exterior walls. You may get the impression some aficionados of sturdy all-metal vehicles use it in a derogatory manner.

If the shoe fits . . . .
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 06:01 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1974
Coachwork: CARPENTER
Chassis: GMC-6000
Engine: 454 CHEVY
Rated Cap: 66

I LIKE THE FACKED THAT SKOOLIES ARE STURDY ALL-METAL. AS FAR AS GLUE TRY GORILA-SNAT IT LOOKS YELLO ANG SHOUD HAVE A GORILA ON THE LABEL YOU CAN US IT FOR JUST ABOUT WHAT EVER YOU WANT TO US IT FOR BUT IT DOES NOT LIKE TO COME OFF. I'VE SEEN IT USED ON INER DOOR PANELS, VALVE COVERS

CAMO-MONSTER

the BEAST, 350, 4 sm465, np205,
hd d44 4.56, eaton ff 4.56
CAMO-MONSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 06:25 AM   #13
Bus Nut

OH BY THE WAY LADY FRANKLIN IF YOU GO TO
A BUS WITH NO NAME YET
ON PAGE 8 IN THE GALLARY
AND LOOK AT THARE SLIDE THAY USED 2 X 2 SQUARE TUBING WITH MANUAL HAND SLIDE
THE ONLY PROBLEM I SEE IS IT IS MANUAL
BUT OTHERWISE I LIKE IT

CAMO-MONSTER

Old 11-22-2008, 01:25 PM   #14
Skoolie

Ya I had actually seen that bus before I started and I thought they did a nice job but I really needed the slide mechanisms to be on the sides of the actual box so I had an unobstructed floor space. If it were a bed going there then not so big a deal because the slides would be covered by the bed. As mentioned above the support walls on the sides will be incorporated into the sides of the cabinets aft and the forward ones will create a separation between the drivers seat and the futon.
Old 11-22-2008, 04:19 PM   #15
Bus Nut

WHAT ABOUT RECESSED IN THE FLOOR SO IT IS NOT STICKING UP

Old 11-23-2008, 08:15 PM   #16
Skoolie

I had made a design where the slides were below the floor but this required a false floor inside and I didn't think it would be as sturdy. Sure I could have recessed them into the floor but then I have tracks exposed when the slide out is extended, not the look I am going for. I just figured this to be the best design as it met all the requirements I had for the slide out.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:14 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Sorry I missed your question. As was posted, stick 'n staples are commercial RV's because...well...that's what they're made out of.

Slide savers (generic term I think...don't know if it's been trademarked) are just legs that go down to the ground under slides to support the weight and act as stabilizers. I understand your calculations and such, but the big guys use calculations too and their slides seem to fail after a few years. Maybe you just have a better design.

It actually is an interesting argument within the RV world. Some people swear by them, others say that not only do you not need them, but they could cause the damage you're trying to prevent if the rest of the RV were to settle and they did not thus causing a jacking effect. I wouldn't worry about them for short term stays, but if I was going to be in a place for more than a night or two I might consider some sort of device there if for no other reason than to keep the whole bus from rocking a lot. For as rough as my bus rides, people moving around in it sure can cause that suspension to move.

Maybe you'll just have to wait and see how bad the bus sways or how much those slides drop when fully extended. I've seen them drop 3 inches when fully extended. It might be the way they're designed to work, but that would irk me!
Old 11-30-2008, 10:16 AM   #18
Skoolie

Three inches! If mine move that much then I am not going to have too swift a seal. I hear what your saying about the slides wearing over time. Maybe I will consider something for extra support. I am also adding air bag suspension to the rear axle and wonder if that would cause the bus to move more or less, (I am hoping less, thats the point of that system right). Maybe I could build the slide savers into the slide out and they could just fold down once extended? We will definitely be staying in one place for more than a few days though, perhaps six months is a better estimate. Thanks for the advice at any rate.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:56 AM   #19
Bus Geek

Just play it by ear. It was more a question of curiosity than some sort of scary, ominous warning. I want to see this puppy when it's done!
Old 12-01-2008, 10:34 AM   #20
Skoolie

ME TOO!!! or maybe I should say I just want to get it done... turns out this whole bus converting thing is a TON of work and costs a ton of money...