Old 09-24-2016, 09:08 AM   #1
Suggestions on Parking/storage for conversion?

Newbie here looking at getting his ducks in a row before bringing a bus home. I've done some groundwork in trying to find a spot to put the bus (I plan on a short to mid size bus, no bigger than 7 windows in length) while I work on getting it livable - but I've had a hard time finding places that will either allow or accommodate something as 'large' as a bus.

Everywhere I've called or emailed has basically said the same thing "We haven't got room."

I live in a suburb that I'm fairly certain would not be cool with a bus parked at the curb for more than a few days, and I haven't got a driveway that's level enough or big enough to put the bus on.

How have you solved your parking woes? Do you have any suggestions?

I'm living in the Northern Virginia area, hoping to find something within a short drive from where I live - but I haven't had any luck yet. Any advice would be welcome!
SpecialAgentAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 10:25 AM   #2
Bus Geek
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
RV storage is the term to use... I know in Ohio U-haul facilities sometiomes offer RV parking.. sometimes covered...

I live in a suburb and would bring the bus home to the curb for just a day or 2 at a time when I was working on it then go put it away in storage for a while if I wasnt active on it... ..

in florida here I have a spot at a place called "extra space".. both U-haul and extra-space are national chains that let you search online.. the term again is RV storage.. a 7 row bus length-wise can fit in 25 feet.. at least my carpenter does.. not sure about other manufacturers.. the issue you will find is that most indoor storage is only 8-10 foot doors.. unless designed for RVs..

expect to pay $100 + per month if you want easy access.. there are sometimes cheaper places but are designed for seasonal where its meant for long term..

I only had one place in florida refuse me because it "looks like a commercial vehicle and we dont allow commercial vehicles"..

it is also a tough time up north as a lot of people are taking their boats out of the water and putting their RV's up..

in another couple months it will again be a good time as the snow-birders pull their RV;s out and head south.. many people dont keep their storage active when their boat or RV is in use.. they taske their chances..

cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 07:51 AM   #3
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65 passenger
Unless you have HOA rules that prohibit, would it be different than a car? It has tags, is registered, and drivable, move it every few days. Unless, I suppose, it would be considered a commercial vehicle and there may be zoning laws.
Please check out my blog-
Follow the (lack of) progress on the Karr Family Kamping Bus Blog
Here is my woefully inadequate build thread:
karrlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 08:40 AM   #4
Bus Geek
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
most HOA's name out RV's and utility vehicles.. and sometimes the city does too to cover places where the HOA didnrt or there is no HOA...

some cities go by height and length for "enclosed passenger vehicles" parked on public streets.. typically anything longer 20 feet is noted.. then they name out anything thats not an enclosed self-powered passenger vehicle to cover box trucks, boats, trailers, etc...

chances are you can get away with it for awhile or sporadically but the issue usually becomes the neighbors cant see around a bus when going in and out of their driveways or having to go around it, they cant see it.. so after a couple weeks of that they start to complain
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote

conversion, parking, storage