Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2018, 01:40 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466e
Sunshade for windshield

How are you guys covering the windshield? Was wondering if all skool bus windshields had the same dimensions. Maybe there's some out there for rvs that work?

Ultimately, I plan on looking into installing one of those electric shade systems you see in thos expensive modern rvs. The ones where there's shades all around on all windows and their in sync operated by a control panel. Yep, my imagination forces me to think too far outside the box lol. One can dream I suppose

adic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 07:20 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by adic27 View Post
How are you guys covering the windshield? Was wondering if all skool bus windshields had the same dimensions. Maybe there's some out there for rvs that work?
For the time being, I'm just using some Reflectix on the inside. It works pretty well but it NOT stylish and can be a nuisance to keep in place depending on the shape of your dash/windshield.
Reflectix Windshield Sun Shade Insulation - JdFinley.com

To prevent heat intrusion, an outdoor windshield shade works quite well. Here is an example that I made for my last coach. The sewing is pretty easy if willing to do that.
Windshield Sun Cover - JdFinley.com

It worked great and kept a good bit of the heat outside. I really liked the fabric as it allows you to see outside (from the inside) during the day. However; at night it is just the opposite so you will still need the shades you mentioned. I have a bunch of the same material to make one for Missy but haven't gotten around to it yet. This time, I'm not sure I'll use magnets ($$$) to hold it in place - probably snaps or quarter-turn fasteners. The negative is you have to get the ladder out to put up/take down (at least I would on Missy). Since you only do this when staying put for a week or two, it isn't the end of the world - and the windshield normally needs washed after sitting that long anyway.

There are a good many of these options in the RV world (as you mentioned) and a number of the shops will build to fit if that's the route you prefer. MagneShade is one such outfit (https://magneshade.com/). They are very high quality but also price.

I too really like the motorized day/night shades (inside style) but my windshield has a good bit of curve to it so I'll probably go with a curtain style shade (on a track over the windshield). Missy's side windows are straight and they will eventually have those motorized day/night shades. Don't go looking for the price - it's a heart-stopper!
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 12:45 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466e
I actually googled before I started this thread and saw your solution lol. Think I'm subscribed to your build thread also.

Thanks!
adic27 is offline   Reply With Quote