Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2006, 09:43 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Surround Sound

As I'm planning out my new bus, the entertainment system needs to be a primary focus. I'm imagining a big couch across from a nice wall storage unit, just like at home.

In my last boat, I horsed together a system using surround computer speakers and a Creative Labs decoder. Unfortunately, the whole thing had to run off of 110V, and had lots of wires hooked together on tender plugs. Creative also discontinued the decoder. You had to turn on 3 pieces of gear in separate locations, and adjust two volume controls just to listen to tunes!

But when I got things going, the effort was worth it. The surround effect made the space seem far larger than it was, and the sound was great.

There are some 5.1 suround sound units out there for not too much money. Mobile tech is catching up to home systems. Here's one that looks nice:
http://www.cardomain.com/item/CLADVH940

Has anyone checked into this? I'm thinking maybe building up a sort-of dashboard on the front part of my engine doghouse, and making that the control point for an iPod/Sirius/FM/CD/DVD/Sat TV system. The speaker setup would be oriented sideways in the bus, so that the long sofa would be in prime position.

suzy_F_homemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 12:27 PM   #2
Bus Geek

are you trying to find a system that does not run off of 110 volts?
Old 07-18-2006, 03:09 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

A 12V system would be preferable. Though it does seem like you can get a dedicated small home system for cheap at the various big box stores. Having a separate car stereo and entertainment center would allow passengers to watch TV while the driver has music on. Having two systems seems redundant, but saving lots of $$$ makes up for it. Looks like I've talked myself out of an expensive 12V system.

I'm glas that we had this discussion!
Old 07-18-2006, 03:13 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
I have my head unit hooked up to my entertainment center so you can listen to either or have the radio/cd playing out of all the speakers. I used one of the RCA pre-amp outputs to connect it to the home theater system.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 04:48 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: ThomasBuilt
Chassis: International Harvester S-1700
Engine: 9L IHC V-8 Diesel 180HP
Rated Cap: 60
I'm still pondering this one. I want a 12VDC system, but the thing is that I want to use my PC as the entertainment center, for watching DVDs, listening to CDs, and for storing recorded music. I want to use the line in on the sound card to play music from a car CD player through the PC, and I also want to use car speakers in the bus to create a surround sound set-up.

I have found 12VDC computer power supplies, but haven't bought one yet. Still have to figure out all the wiring.
Eric von Kleist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 06:10 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Creative Labs has an Audigy PC card that can do the decoding.

I sort-of did this on my last boat, and decided that I wouldn't do it again. You can get a DVD player and an MP3 player that can do the job for not too much. I found the laptop to require far too much effort just to play tunes. I was the only one that could control the complicated system!

Probably a small inverter will solve your problems, and not risk your expensive laptop. DC-to-DC converters are pretty expensive, IIRC. You can't just hook up a plug to your house power, as the voltage varies considerably between a full charge and the aftermath of a blended margarita party. Could make a bit of mischief with your laptop!
Old 07-18-2006, 06:21 PM   #7
Bus Geek

I've never been much of an audio guy, but i am very pleased with the setup in my bus.

i have a pair of peavey cabinet DJ speakers that i run off of a 12 volt 200 watt clarion amp. I also have a pair of 5x9 automotive speakers in the front of the bus that run off of their own amp. (when we want to create more noise, i do have a 110 volt peavey powerd mixer that really makes those speakers rock! but it doesn't do well while driving down the road.

for a head unit i have a sony xplode that has three sets of rca outputs and a set of rca input jacks that i connect to either my xm radio, my laptop, or sometimes my cell phone. (cell phone has a build in mp3 player) I forget what it costed, but under $200. There are some cheaper versions of the xplode that do not have all the input/outputs. I didn't really care what brand head unit i purchased, as long as it had the rca input/outputs. I'm sure everyoen has their own opinion when it comes to audio stuff.

I run my laptop off of my inverter.