Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2008, 10:12 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Re: Swapping manual trans for an automatic?

Get the clutch fixed.

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 10:11 AM   #2
Bus Geek

No offence, Cheese Wagon, but that question tells me that you are not ready for any major mechanical work yourself. That fact reinforces our opinion to avoid exotic mechanical adventures like a transmission changeover.

You can easily tell the difference. Just open the hood. If there is a linkage, you will be able to follow that with your eyes. If there is a master cylinder and hydraulic line, you can see that.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:57 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Hey, that makes it easier, Cheese Wagon! Just walk in underneath the bus and look UP! If you see a mechanical linkage from the clutch to the engine compartment, then you have a mechanical linkage. If you see a slave cylinder at the clutch, and hydraulic plumbing running forward, then you have... that other thing.

Old 07-06-2008, 12:26 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

cheesewagon look for a resevoir like the brakes in your car make sure its full andpump it 2431 times your pedal should get better this is if you have hydraulics if you are mechanical you can adjust accordingly try all of this before you rip anything apart i bet you have hydraulic short people are great for bleeding brakes timbuk
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 09:35 AM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Ford B-700
Engine: 351 windsor
Rated Cap: 72

What is your clutch doing? please define iffy.
Dave
Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 07:48 AM   #6
Skoolie

I think that I would adjust my clutch if it's not slipping, who cares if it’s a little worn. Replacing the clutch is something that could be done is 5 or 6 hours no telling how long to change to an automatic.
According to the previous owner who bought it nearly new, ol buster had a 390 originally shortly after he purchased it something happened to the 390 and he had the 351 installed. It pulls fine and will run up to about 70 according to my gps the speedo is pretty close. I generally drive about 55 or 60 on these old 2 lane Arkansas Highways and get about 8 mpg give or take. I’m pretty happy with it just like it is, I probably drive 4 or 500 miles a year it is real dependable and just needs normal maintenance.
Dave
Old 07-08-2008, 11:17 PM   #7
Bus Geek

This is not very scientific, but in 26 years of driving 18-wheelers around the country, I tend to get better milage with a bigger engine. Now... that's thanks to my driving style -- which is like I was born 85 years old.

Some truck drivers can pour amazing amounts of fuel thru an engine, and those guys are better off -- from the employer's point of view -- with a smaller engine. (Then they discover that they can only go 20 MPH up the Grapevine and quit the job within a month.)

My first bus had an International 404 gasoline engine, and it had that "Grapevine problem".

Old 07-09-2008, 12:55 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

429 is a great motor i would leave that one alone put some flowmaster 40 mufflers on that baby and what a sound ive drilled out tons of those bb ford ex studs in the vehicle get a angle drill and take your time pry that drill with a big 2x4 against the wheelwell thats how to wrestle those bb fords timbuk
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 07:32 AM   #9
Skoolie

I agree with Elliot, Larger engines don’t have to work as hard to get the same job done. I also drive like Grandma and as a result get better than most mileage out of a vehicle. I would just adjust the clutch and drive it myself. Is there another reason that you want an automatic in that bus? None of my business really you just seem darned determined to get one in there. It’s your bus, follow your motto on the bottom of your post and we’ll keep supporting you. That’s the great thing about a bus and this forum. Follow your heart. I also agree with Tumbuk, drill those suckers out while they’re bolted up. I try to do all of the maintenance on all of my vehicles, I like a manual transmission because I can replace a clutch myself far easier than I can rebuild an automatic transmission. Then again there are folks here that have the tools and expertise to overhaul them too. I can get a clutch in pretty quick and go on. But if driven properly I’ll bet that you could depend on 75 or 80,000 trouble free clutch miles. My bus just rolled 90,000 and has had 1 clutch replaced.
If everything else is equal that 429 that you have will handily go around my bus on any pull. This has been discussed many times here’ if it’s mileage that your after look at your buses differential gear ratio. That affects mileage more that any other single factor.
Can I get an amen? Sorry for the sermon, just trying to help and sometimes I get carried away.
Dave