Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-15-2018, 10:57 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Grants Pass, Oregon
Posts: 39
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: 5.9l Cummins
Rated Cap: 72 - 27800
T 1-11 subfloor?

Looking around at all the threads about sub flooring, anyone ever try T1-11 instead of plywood? Does it off gas harmful chemicals? Seems like it would work better than plywood with that awesome coating on it.

Not into the foam board idea
Enrico Carini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:27 AM   #2
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 2,627
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrico Carini View Post
Looking around at all the threads about sub flooring, anyone ever try T1-11 instead of plywood? Does it off gas harmful chemicals? Seems like it would work better than plywood with that awesome coating on it.

Not into the foam board idea
Why are you not into foam board? It is designed for the job.
__________________
Steve Bracken

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:42 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Grants Pass, Oregon
Posts: 39
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: 5.9l Cummins
Rated Cap: 72 - 27800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
Why are you not into foam board? It is designed for the job.
Mostly because I'm 6'4" in a 6'2" bus so I'd like to keep the floor as thin as possible
Enrico Carini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:45 AM   #4
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 2,627
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrico Carini View Post
Mostly because I'm 6'4" in a 6'2" bus so I'd like to keep the floor as thin as possible
A reasonable point.

It's going to depend on how you plan on using the bus. SHort camping trips in moderate weather, just bung down 1/2" ply and a laminate on top.

However, if you plan any camping in cooler temperatures you will regret the decision to not insulate the floor, or the ceiling.

If those ideas are in your plans, take the time and raise the roof a few inches. It's not beyond the capabilities of any half-decent handyman.
__________________
Steve Bracken

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:56 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Grants Pass, Oregon
Posts: 39
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: 5.9l Cummins
Rated Cap: 72 - 27800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
A reasonable point.

It's going to depend on how you plan on using the bus. SHort camping trips in moderate weather, just bung down 1/2" ply and a laminate on top.

However, if you plan any camping in cooler temperatures you will regret the decision to not insulate the floor, or the ceiling.

If those ideas are in your plans, take the time and raise the roof a few inches. It's not beyond the capabilities of any half-decent handyman.
I'd love to do all of that, maybe on the next bus or a later chapter but I kinda need to knock this one out.

I was just kinda thinking T1-11 might be nicer than regular ply.
Enrico Carini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 12:43 PM   #6
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 2,627
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrico Carini View Post
I'd love to do all of that, maybe on the next bus or a later chapter but I kinda need to knock this one out.

I was just kinda thinking T1-11 might be nicer than regular ply.
No one leaves a regular ply finish on the floor.

Get the cheap stuff, put a thin laminate on top.
__________________
Steve Bracken

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 01:19 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Grants Pass, Oregon
Posts: 39
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: 5.9l Cummins
Rated Cap: 72 - 27800
For sure, not even I would cheap out that hard. Iím thinking for sub flooring T1-11 has awesome resistance to moisture since itís siding and all. Proper flooring will go on top of whatever I use as sub floor
Enrico Carini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 01:23 PM   #8
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 2,627
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrico Carini View Post
For sure, not even I would cheap out that hard. Iím thinking for sub flooring T1-11 has awesome resistance to moisture since itís siding and all. Proper flooring will go on top of whatever I use as sub floor
If the floor is sealed it is an awesome vapor barrier. The occasional spill won't do it any harm. My floor is 18 years old and has had kids in and out. But there is no rust and no holes. The OEM plywood is in perfect condition.
__________________
Steve Bracken

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 03:01 PM   #9
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 3,436
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I was surprised when talking to the woman in the flooring department about wood flooring for my bus. She immediately blurted out that that would void the warranty, that none of the wood flooring was intended for temp changes that we experience in a bus, that it was only warranteed for like 50-90į
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 03:03 PM   #10
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 2,627
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I was surprised when talking to the woman in the flooring department about wood flooring for my bus. She immediately blurted out that that would void the warranty, that none of the wood flooring was intended for temp changes that we experience in a bus, that it was only warranteed for like 50-90į
Just avoid the stuff made from MDF or particle-board, leave a gap and it will be fine.
__________________
Steve Bracken

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.