Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2010, 01:36 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77
Re: Tankless waterheaters

What do they usually cost? Sounds like a winner to me.

And how big are they? And do they need modifications to run on propane?

Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 02:25 PM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77

Wait...BATTERIES? Is there a way to power it with an adapter off either 12V or 120V?
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:53 AM   #23
Skoolie

Could you install this in one of the bays of the bus, so it stays outside. Say by the propane tank?

This is interesting and think it would be a good deal.

Jackie
Mulelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:20 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 5.9 Cummings
Rated Cap: 65

Pied Typer,

Any update on the reliability of your Tankless Water Heater?

Below is a picture of the one I purchased. I'm building an exterior shower for my Ragbrai bus. I picked this up off of Amazon in March and just got around to actually firing it up. I was impressed with the water temp. The product description says 80-150 degrees F and I believe it too. Water pressure is decent enough to take a shower at 1.4 GPM.

Mine was roughly $135 bucks. I think I have another $30-$40 in plumbing connections (quick connects, reducers, etc) b/c it will be set up and torn down in each night. On this particiular model the reviews indicatd the water shut off on the handle was very difficult to use and it is. I opted for an inline valve on the garden hose to eliminate this issue.

I'm interested in knowing if you have any feedback on yours for reliability? The reviews on mine have been pretty positive. Thought I would ask otherwise time will tell.

Thanks
Scratchy
Attached Thumbnails
Hot Water Heater.jpg  
Scratchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:41 PM   #25

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
Soomeone on the Roadfood professionals forum (food vendors & restaurant owners) is using one in his mobile kitchen and loves it. It is used to heat potable water. Everything in a mobile kitchen has to pass a health inspection, both before ever selling 1 piece of food and at any time that an inspector feels like doing an inspection (with in reason... like you have to be open).

The "point-of-use" water heaters tend to be either 220 and big enough to handle a person taking a shower or 110 big enough to wash your hands in. An LP tankless water heater can be used in an RV. This was a hot topic for a while on the coach conversion sites several years back. I emailed the folks who make the Aquastar models to ask if they could be used in an RV even though they were not "approved" for use in an RV. Their response was yes several of the folks who worked for their company had them in their RV (including the owner/pres. & VP, engineers). At the time they told me about 5 or 6 of their management had done this and many of the factory workers as well. It seems that it costs a lot of $$ and testing to get the "approval" needed to sell their product to a very small group of consumers. It wasn't worth it. You need a power vent on the tankless. You can get "exterior" tankless models (seen them in Panama City Beach, FL when down there last). You might want to get the "solar" kind that will allow you to use "preheated" water as the water in the water hoses will get hot enough that they won't make the water heater kick on to bring the preheated water on up to required temperature.

Can you tell me more about the mobile kitchen. Does the health dept. consider it the same as a commercial kitchen. Can you share some info?

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 07:17 AM   #26
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas SafTLiner
Chassis: FE
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 60

Wasn't someone here going to make a thread about theirs? Installed, and working, but haven't heard a peep yet. Did I miss it? This is about the only water heater we could possibly afford.
dentedvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:26 PM   #27
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmonkk
just trying to revive this thread!
My neighbor just offered to give me one of his water heaters (eccotemp L5). Now I was originally going to install a 5 or so gallon LP water heater I pulled out of a camper. That would require me cutting a large hole in my bus, and I wish to avoid as many of those as possible.

So i'm looking to figure out how I'm going to vent this,
We have one of the L5's in our food cart. We bought a 90 degree register boot (all metal) at Lowes. Duct goes thru the wall and taps into a thick PVC pipe with a cap on the top. Go wander around the ductwork section at Lowes/Home Depot. I would suggest that you install in a protected area. Guy on the Roadfood forums lost his L5 and he had drained it. He was in Alaska and it was -45F.

We will be installing an L12 under the kitchen sink. We think the L5 is too small for us. Eventually we will be running a dishwasher and washing machine.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote