Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2007, 11:19 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

TC2000 - rip out the factory a/c?

I looked at a '94 BB TC2000 today. It is the high-headroom, and has factory A/C. The only problem is, I'm not sure I want the factory A/C!! My original plan was to use 2 13.5k rooftop units. I don't like the space that the factory a/c units and ducts take up, or the design constraints because of them.

Stupid to pull out the factory air and put in rooftops? Actually, I'll have to have rooftop (or something) anyway, for use on generator when at a campsite.

waywardfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 01:01 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 diesel
Rated Cap: 14
Re: TC2000 - rip out the factory a/c?

You could just remove the air ducting which won't hurt anything if removed. A plus side of removing all the stuff is if it is a belt drive on the motor once removed the bus will pick up speed just a little bit fast but not much.

If it were me and the ac was working I'd leave it in and remove the ducting except for the ducting going to the driver area. It is just easier running the going down the road as to running a generator.
wmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 01:11 AM   #3
Bus Nut

I wish I had factory AC in my bus. Leave it for driving down the road, if not needed in the back remove the ducting or reuse the ducting for your RV AC/Heater.
swinada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 09:07 PM   #4
Bus Geek

i think most of us would kill for factory A/C
Old 08-20-2007, 02:16 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 7.3 diesel
Rated Cap: 14

I wouldn't kill for it but it would be nice if it was there. I have room under the hood for a compressor and I could use one of the two belts for the alternator or power steering to turn the compressor if I wanted to.

I already have a evaporator that I can mount on the ceiling inside the bus and then I would just need a condenser from a car or truck outside and run hoses and a few other needed parts. I'm sure I could do it. On the down side I would only have a front air unit but it would be better than nothing and I wouldn't need to use a generator on the back to run my roof unit or I could run both if I wanted to.

I am fortunate to have a short bus in one way that it is easier to cool down with a roof air conditioner.
wmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 04:28 PM   #6
Almost There

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 345
Rated Cap: 69

Hey!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm near Greensboro and would love to be the receipient of that unit!!! I'll even help take it out (of course that will help me see how to install it in my skoolie!)

Regardless, I'd like to get together with a fellow skoolie anyway for some ideas.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote