Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2018, 05:41 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Tear out ceiling & walls or not?

Is it worth the work and cost to tear out the ceiling and walls for the insulation benefit?

Life And Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 05:47 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
It depends on your needs and the condition of the insulation. I wanted to keep mine stock since it was factory insulated. I dropped a few panels carefully to inspect and found no mold or anything and put it back up. If you are going to be in very cold climates or very hot climates, then you might consider dropping it down and redoing it.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 06:09 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Life And Stuff View Post
Is it worth the work and cost to tear out the ceiling and walls for the insulation benefit?
Yes. Without any doubt.

Even in fairly temperate conditions the temp inside a tincan can soar. Ventilation and fans will help.

When the temperature drops so will condensation ... possibly on you while you sleep.

You add value should you ever sell.

If you are at all interested in early and late season camping, insulation is a must.

Many people convert their buses without removing internal walls and ceilings. I presume they do this for reasons of their own, but it isn't hard and will make your conversion a very much more pleasant place to be.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 06:34 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
Yes. Without any doubt.

Even in fairly temperate conditions the temp inside a tincan can soar. Ventilation and fans will help.

When the temperature drops so will condensation ... possibly on you while you sleep.

You add value should you ever sell.

If you are at all interested in early and late season camping, insulation is a must.

Many people convert their buses without removing internal walls and ceilings. I presume they do this for reasons of their own, but it isn't hard and will make your conversion a very much more pleasant place to be.
Thank you.
I will be full time, year round living in it.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:34 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
It depends on your needs and the condition of the insulation. I wanted to keep mine stock since it was factory insulated. I dropped a few panels carefully to inspect and found no mold or anything and put it back up. If you are going to be in very cold climates or very hot climates, then you might consider dropping it down and redoing it.
I'm thinking yes. Thank you.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:41 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Twigg is right, if you have a small bus you probably can still heat and cool it with original insulation in place but when you are building something bigger then the energy required to heat and cool is overwhelming.

If you do not have a bus yet and depending on your height pay good attention to buying one with enough headroom. You can easily loose 5" with a good insulation job.

Good luck,
later J
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 06:44 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Quote:
My wife and I are looking at our build to live in during warmer weather. Just look at our thread to figure out if it's worth it to you. Even though we're having a bit of difficulty in shaving down the spray foam, I believe it's worth the effort.

M
Old 04-09-2018, 07:05 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
We say yes, even though it slows down the entire process, we found wet insulation in the wall cavities that we're sooooo glad we found now instead of later.
BigBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 07:17 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
I consider leaving my ceiling and walls in place as the worst shortcut I took on my short bus. Metal outer shell connected to metal frame connected to metal interior panels, insulation in the gap between inner and outer panels means nothing.

Ultimately, we threw up a layer of reflectix to cover all the inside metal. It's not much, but it's better than nothing. Even with white roof paint, we've had days where we couldn't turn off the bus (engine driven AC) for hours because the sun was putting so much heat into the outer shell and it was super efficiently transmitting to the inner shell and doing a great impression of a toaster oven!
Old 05-17-2018, 10:53 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 78
We ended up tearing out everything. And boy we’re happy we did. There are gaps in the wall crevices where you can see to the outside ground! Plus many more little holes here and there.

Definitely worth gutting completely unless you can deal with the thought of moldy insulation and a rusting Bus [emoji589]
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3804.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	235.3 KB
ID:	22191
BigBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 11:07 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue View Post
We ended up tearing out everything. And boy we’re happy we did. There are gaps in the wall crevices where you can see to the outside ground! Plus many more little holes here and there.

Definitely worth gutting completely unless you can deal with the thought of moldy insulation and a rusting Bus [emoji589]
Attachment 22191
If by "wall crevices" you mean between the chair rail and the outer skin, then those gaps are meant to be there. They are drains for any water that gets in above and runs down the inside of the walls.

Build Thread
Old 05-17-2018, 11:09 AM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
If by "wall crevices" you mean between the chair rail and the outer skin, then those gaps are meant to be there. They are drains for any water that gets in above and runs down the inside of the walls.
So, you shouldn't seal these?
Or you should?
Old 05-17-2018, 11:12 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Quote:
So, you shouldn't seal these?
Or you should?
They will be sealed if you spray-foam. That's okay because the entire wall becomes sealed. If you use foam board (XPS preferred), then just leave them open. It won't affect the foam and it will leave a path for any moisture to escape.

Build Thread
Old 05-18-2018, 09:35 AM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
Another vote for tear out insulate and re-skin

Handyman and Shenaniganizer
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/97...ion-22324.html