Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2008, 11:48 AM   #1

Tearing into a old bus

I'm looking at restoring a 1949 Ford school bus. Once restored, I'd like to make it into a camper. Its been parked in the same place my whole life, 43 years. The over all top is in good shape no rust some of the floor has rusted through, and the steps are shot. There are three or four dents on the curved parts going to the roof. What I want to know is, has anyone worked on a bus this old, and what is involved in taking the inner panels out to do the body work what kind of insulation do you run into, I guess I really don't want to tear into any asbestos(at least without a respirator). Some of the panels are held in place with large head Phillips screws other parts are riveted in. I'm going to be able to get it for about $100. For me it has too many cool features still in good shape to let it get cut up for scrap. Thanks for any info.

Ty

BoonDockGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:45 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Ford B-700
Engine: 351 windsor
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Tearing into a old bus

Man, I wish I could help but I don’t know. Heck, tear into it and let us know.
Dave
Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:04 PM   #3

Well my cousin just called and said I could have the bus for free. Free being a relative term, kind of like a free puppy, no such thing. I'll post some Pics in a month or two when I get it dragged from his farm to mine.
BoonDockGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 07:38 AM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Ford B-700
Engine: 351 windsor
Rated Cap: 72

Welcome aboard, Keep us posted these buses are a blast.
Dave
Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 11:32 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

old busses rock its just metal and fasteners grindem drillem nukeem the great thing about old steel is that its old steel head down ass up giver!
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 06:21 PM   #6

Year: 1949
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: ford
Engine: 239, ford
Rated Cap: 32

Took me awhile to get registered and logined but had to reply to your post. I also have a 1948 ford bus with a Ward body that I am currently working on and have already stripped the interior. It was a job but was able to get it done without too many power tools, used a hammer and chisel to break the rust grip on the screws and bolts then a with a socket wrench with screw driver attachment. Some of them I had to grind the heads off and then when the panel was off, used a vice grip. There was no insulation at all between the interior panel and outside wall but I guess it may depend on the manufacturer's body type. What brand of body are you working on? Will add later, good luck
ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:29 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1947
Chassis: ford
Rated Cap: 36

hey! any info you have on what you end up doing and what kind of snags you run into and how you solved these problems! it would be much appreciated. and how did you find out what type of body it was? because i recently got a 1947 ford, earliest year i have seen in these forums so far, but i think it would have the same problems that you would have. only problem is i don't know the body type. and put up some pics! these oldies look awesome.
jrhoades10 is offline   Reply With Quote