Old 09-17-2016, 08:56 PM   #11
Almost There

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas/International
Chassis: 3700
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 72
because my bus is over the 26k weight I needed to get a class B non cdl license for texas,

the class is about the original gvwr weight on the vin plate, I dont think you can change it or get around it by reweighing it.
the CDL issue is about if you take money to drive people or things around.

get rid of the school bus markings and remove most of the seats and most cops will treat it like an RV. but if you get in a wreck they may research it more and realize you are driving a bus that is titled as a school bus with a wrong class and wrong cdl license

another title issue is insurance, CDL insurance is much more than RV insurance, if you get in a wreck and the insurance company realized you have a bus titled as a school bus but you told them it was an RV then they will retroactively cancel your insurance

The main issue is the buses title, if it is titled as a school bus then technically you need a full CDL, the title is the main thing you want to change and the regs vary state by state,
Old 09-18-2016, 12:44 AM   #12

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Thomas Saf-T-Liner
Chassis: Freightliner (FS-65)
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 28
Yes I just had this conversation with a State Trooper today. (Fortunately no where near the bus..er.camper...) the key word is vehicle designed to carry 16 or more people. So even if you have no seats, if the plate says 28 pupils (or whatever else) they can in fact make your life very difficult.

So the options are really get camper plates asap or get a CDL (and all the complications that comes with). But if you have a BIL who has a class A that's a huge plus! Otherwise you may have to go to CDL school which costs more than a solid used bus (or two sometimes).
cleaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:08 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
it goes by state.. in OHIO.. if you take out seats to make it below 16 you are good .. in michigan they go be DESIGN capacity as mentioned above...

in OHIO air brakes dont matter unless you are over 26k GVWR (marked on the placard!)...

a CDL is required if your bus is over 26k GVWR.. OR is seated to carry more than 15 people including the driver... OR is used for any commercial activity whatsoever.. UNLESS you title it as an RV.. BUT it can NEVER legally be used for any commercial activity..

in OHIO if you title and register as an RV for personal use only then your regular drivers license is sufficient and your tags are cheap...

in OHIO, ANY commercial use of the vehicle requires its driver to maintain the proper CDL for the class of the vehicle,, AND have DOT numbers AND is subject to stop and full DOT inspection along the highway or at any checkpoint... this means logbooks, licensing, medical certificate (required for a bus if driven out of the state), etc..

thats Ohio... as told to me by the DMV themselves a few months ago.

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:15 AM   #14
Almost There

In Texas,
I talked to the local tax assessor people, the manager, asst mgr and 4 other employees all said that I could not change the title to RV, they called a manager at the austin office, they said the same thing,
I read the regulation myself, found the paragraph and showed it to them and then I was able to change it,
I believe you can change the title, you just have to find the paragraph that says you can yourself, what we do is so rare that most dont know it can happen,
Old 09-18-2016, 08:23 AM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH 3800
Engine: Navistar DT466E
Rated Cap: 72 passenger
Bubb: what paragraph or statute did you show them? I'm making a file for when "that day in court" finally comes for one of us. Pre-loading the defense as it were.
Old 09-18-2016, 08:51 AM   #16
Almost There

title thread

This is my original bus thread, scroll down, I did a big write up of how I got the title changed, it has all the details

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/bu...nger-8860.html