Old 04-20-2016, 09:15 AM   #1

The insanity of it all

A few years ago I was talking with a friend from another country. He was reading the real estate section of our local paper. At one point he stopped reading and said. " You Americans are crazy. " He went on to explain that in his country if you buy real estate and pay it off then it's yours forever. No property taxes to pay no government seizures to worry about if you can't pay the taxes. He said it was insane to work thirty plus years to pay off a house that you will never truly own since here after you pay it off you still have to pay property taxes, or rent as he called it, to the government or else they will take it and evict you.

I'm now 53 years old with twenty five years left on a thirty year mortgage and his words are coming back to haunt me. The reality is setting in that even if I manage to pay off my mortgage before I die by age 78 l will still not truly own my home. I realized all I will have accomplished is to be just one more of millions of money cows for a government to milk until I'm all dried up and no longer of use. Then I will be turned out to pasture and a new younger cash cow will take my place to start the process all over again for the next thirty years. Mooo?

So I'm changing the game. I'm planning a school bus conversion and possibly a tiny house on wheels as well. I can sell my home now while the market is still good and hopefully have enough to do both as quickly as possible. I think I just woke up from the American dream and realized it was really a nightmare.
Davecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 10:22 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: International
Engine: Navistar 5.9 Diesel
Rated Cap: A butt-load...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davecop View Post
.......I think I just woke up from the American dream and realized it was really a nightmare.
Almost verbatum what i told my wife not too long ago...

This single paragraph is daunting, petrifying, sad, and inspirational...all at the same time!

IMHO, this (the economic aspect of it, at least) should be a conversation everyone should have, regardless if you're single or married.

The skoolie conversation is also a great one to have, as it is more economical than other "commercially available" solutions, and you can take pride in knowing "you did it yourself".
Be ready for a lot of and
skoolie_n00bie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 11:16 AM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Crown by Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT 466e
Rated Cap: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoolie_n00bie View Post
Almost verbatum what i told my wife not too long ago...

This single paragraph is daunting, petrifying, sad, and inspirational...all at the same time!

IMHO, this (the economic aspect of it, at least) should be a conversation everyone should have, regardless if you're single or married.

The skoolie conversation is also a great one to have, as it is more economical than other "commercially available" solutions, and you can take pride in knowing "you did it yourself".
Be ready for a lot of and
But in the end, it is *so* worth all the moments. Every time I walk by/look at/think about my bus, it makes me happy for just that reason. I did it myself (with lots of help from my awesome wife!) and no one can take that away from me.

John
johnbloem1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 11:50 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH 3800
Engine: Navistar DT466E
Rated Cap: 72 passenger
I spent the first 35 years of my life trying to put some big numbers on the ol' income tax return. Thought it made my d**k look bigger or something. And then I had "that moment" where I realized it was all a game, rigged at the onset, and the only way to win was NOT TO PLAY.

That was a defining moment for me.

Since then, I'm making the journey in the other direction. I ditched all my credit cards but one, emptied my bank accounts, and paid cash for whatever I needed. Took all the financial chaff and discarded it. I started planning the option of going completely off the grid, invisible if necessary, and becoming portable in an instant. Yup, I'm keeping the house, but its getting some mods (we live in the country. Nuff said). And the tax return shows I'm just "real poor folk". Not worthy of attention.

The bus is a big part of this effort. Its getting solar, and other tweaks, that would allow for an extended disconnect. Bigger tanks. A water-maker from a sailboat.

I may never need/want to go walkabout, but just having that option, sitting in the driveway, makes me smile.

Sounds like I'm in good company here!
Old 04-20-2016, 11:54 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Can't ever escape "The Man" completely. Still have to pay yearly personal property tax on the bus to keep the tags.
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 11:59 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH 3800
Engine: Navistar DT466E
Rated Cap: 72 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgorila1 View Post
Can't ever escape "The Man" completely. Still have to pay yearly personal property tax on the bus to keep the tags.
Very true! Short of going completely Galt, everyone has to pay a tithe to The Man, but I'm okay with spending just $88 a year on him. As long as it keeps HIM happy, then I'M happy.
Old 04-20-2016, 12:10 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davecop View Post
A few years ago I was talking with a friend from another country. He was reading the real estate section of our local paper. At one point he stopped reading and said. " You Americans are crazy. " He went on to explain that in his country if you buy real estate and pay it off then it's yours forever. No property taxes to pay no government seizures to worry about if you can't pay the taxes. He said it was insane to work thirty plus years to pay off a house that you will never truly own since here after you pay it off you still have to pay property taxes, or rent as he called it, to the government or else they will take it and evict you.

I'm now 53 years old with twenty five years left on a thirty year mortgage and his words are coming back to haunt me. The reality is setting in that even if I manage to pay off my mortgage before I die by age 78 l will still not truly own my home. I realized all I will have accomplished is to be just one more of millions of money cows for a government to milk until I'm all dried up and no longer of use. Then I will be turned out to pasture and a new younger cash cow will take my place to start the process all over again for the next thirty years. Mooo?

So I'm changing the game. I'm planning a school bus conversion and possibly a tiny house on wheels as well. I can sell my home now while the market is still good and hopefully have enough to do both as quickly as possible. I think I just woke up from the American dream and realized it was really a nightmare.

Welcome to 'merica. Enjoy your stay.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 12:43 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: International
Engine: Navistar 5.9 Diesel
Rated Cap: A butt-load...
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal View Post
Welcome to 'merica. Enjoy your stay.
It's 'MURICA, get it right!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
skoolie_n00bie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 08:45 PM   #9

There's a country where you don't pay property taxes?? If possible, please let us know what country this is. To my knowledge, property tax is the ONLY tax that is truly inescapable. (Smart, rich people are able to hide their incomes, but even they have got to pay taxes on their real estate.)
nicolasuribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 08:48 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolasuribe View Post
There's a country where you don't pay property taxes?? If possible, please let us know what country this is. To my knowledge, property tax is the ONLY tax that is truly inescapable. (Smart, rich people are able to hide their incomes, but even they have got to pay taxes on their real estate.)
Not if they have good accountants and claim them on their businesses.......