Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2008, 11:30 AM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Re: Thedford Aqua magic V - Install question

Pay attention to how high the floor flange sits. You may need a spacer, as mentioned on that other thread. It is vital that the foam-rubber "donut" seal (wax ring in the old days) gets compressed a bit, so it will not leak. My Thetford Aria came with a couple of spacers and instructions for how to measure. I think Thetford also has instructions in pdf format on their web site -- I know they have for my Aria.

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 09:51 PM   #2
Skoolie

I just used a regular house flange w/maybe a 1/4" space between the flange and the floor. No problems so far with regular use. That is everyday use.
reprobate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 07:43 PM   #3
Bus Nut

I'm not sure I understand the question about the spacing. I cut a hole in the floor that also went through the floor tile, if memory serves me correctly it was a 3.25" hole, dropped in a house type toilet flange and screwed it down, placed a soft seal between that and toilet and slipped the whole thing into place, tighten the flange bolts and you're done. Connected the 3" pipe underneath to the slip seals in my tank which was mounted about 3 feet forward and 1.5' down and it's complete...

What space?

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 10:15 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

I think it is a question of different brands or models of floor flanges. Specifically, how thick it is.

Yes, the flange sits on the floor, and the commode sits on the same floor. So if the two are compatible, the seal will fit.

But let's say, for the sake of illustration, that the maker of the commode is in Vermont, and in Vermont it has been customary since the beginning of indoor plumbing that floor flanges are half inch thick. (This is hypothetical.) Having never seen anything else, the commode manufacturer build his commodes to fit a half inch flange. Then, a customer in Arizona buys one of these commodes, and in Arizona it has been customary since the beginning of indoor plumbing that floor flanges are quarter inch thick. (Again, hypothetical.) In this case, the customer in Arizona would need to shim his "Arizona-flange" a quarter inch up in order to fit the "Vermont-commode". That make sense? Last time I walked thru my local hardware store, I think I saw at least half a dozen different floor flanges on the shelf, so odds are there are a couple of different thicknesses out there.

Just a theory.

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 03:31 PM   #5
Bus Nut

I dump like a big dog, why would that impact the size of the floor flange?
oldog12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 09:50 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Very interesting hypothetical question. But since the entire thread is titled "Thetford Aqua Magic V" it's kind of a moot point? I was just trying to figure out what spacing he was talking about, hadn't thought about different thickness flanges as I thought they were all pretty much the same. Oh well...

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote