Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2017, 01:16 PM   #1
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Thermal results for skoolie surfaces, paint, insulation

It is 80 degrees air temp when I took these samples using a very expensive HF tool: Infrared Thermometer Non-contact, Digital ($15). Test was done very scientifically and tester was sober. It's Sept 23 in Chicago and our high temp today is going to be 91 degrees (record) .

First post will be exterior temps, 2nd post will have interior measurements.

Driveway, shade temp
Click image for larger version

Name:	shade-driveway.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	16054

Driveway sun

Name:	sun-driveway.jpg
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	16055

Tire in sun

Name:	tire.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	16056

Blue paint in sun

Name:	blu-pt.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	16057

White paint in sun

Name:	white-pt.jpg
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	16058

Reason I'm fooling around with this as it's too hot to paint nose of bus must wait a bit- paint can says not to apply above 93 degrees surface temp.

Something something Global hotness.

Name:	front.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	16059

Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 01:20 PM   #2
Traveling

Interior

Here are the interior temps:

Foam wall, inside, wall facing sun

Name:	foam.jpg
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	16060

Rib, inside, wall facing sun

Name:	rib.jpg
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	16061

FRP ceiling w/ foam

Name:	FRP-ceiling.jpg
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	16062

White emergency door, inside, facing sun

Name:	wt emerg-door.jpg
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	16064

Tinted glass,

Name:	tinted.jpg
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	16063

Single pane clear glass, inside facing sun

Name:	single-pane.jpg
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	16065
Old 09-25-2017, 01:21 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Rusty,

was it you who did the side by side of different roof paints and measured temp differences a while back?
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 01:25 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I think that was Jazty.

Your results look just like what SuperDave and I found.
The flat white on his roof was more than ten degrees cooler than the blue on the sides. The flat white was double digits cooler than any other color or surface on the entire bus.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 01:34 PM   #5
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Rusty,

was it you who did the side by side of different roof paints and measured temp differences a while back?
Not I. Is eye-opening, though. Tinted glass was HIGHER???
Old 09-25-2017, 01:41 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Not I. Is eye-opening, though. Tinted glass was HIGHER???
Dark colors absorb heat.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 01:43 PM   #7
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Dark colors absorb heat.
ya think??
Old 09-25-2017, 01:48 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
ya think??
Thanks for sharing. Looks like I will be buying 5 gallons of white paint.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Serengeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 04:03 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
also remember NOW.. as in late september is *NOT* the time to be sun testing up north.. our sun angle is not nearly what it is in the summer solstice... .. and yes surfaces are still going to be hotter or cooler based on color.. if you really want to know what repels and what aborbs heat.. wait till mid may through late july next year... or go to florida.. the sun angle in florida right now is similar to what it is in chicago in july..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 06:27 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Also remember the physics involved in the IR thermometer. A few common misconceptions:
  • the laser doesn't have anything to do with the temperature measurement. It's just a laser pointer to help with aiming.
  • the measurement area is a circle, not a tiny point. It's the base of a cone whose peak is at the thermometer device. As distance between the device and the measured surface increases, the measurement area increases too. ("distance-to-spot ratio")
  • emissivity matters. Per wikipedia: "Most surfaces have high emissivity (over 0.9 for most biological surfaces), and most IR thermometers rely on this simplifying assumption; however, reflective surfaces have lower emissivity than non-reflective surfaces. Some sensors have an adjustable emissivity setting, which can be set to measure the temperature of reflective and non-reflective surfaces. A non-adjustable thermometer may be used to measure the temperature of a reflective surface by applying a non-reflective paint or tape, with some loss of accuracy."
The last point may explain some of the surprise in the glass temperature measurements.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 06:47 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by family wagon View Post
Also remember the physics involved in the IR thermometer. A few common misconceptions:
  • the laser doesn't have anything to do with the temperature measurement. It's just a laser pointer to help with aiming.
  • the measurement area is a circle, not a tiny point. It's the base of a cone whose peak is at the thermometer device. As distance between the device and the measured surface increases, the measurement area increases too. ("distance-to-spot ratio")
  • emissivity matters. Per wikipedia: "Most surfaces have high emissivity (over 0.9 for most biological surfaces), and most IR thermometers rely on this simplifying assumption; however, reflective surfaces have lower emissivity than non-reflective surfaces. Some sensors have an adjustable emissivity setting, which can be set to measure the temperature of reflective and non-reflective surfaces. A non-adjustable thermometer may be used to measure the temperature of a reflective surface by applying a non-reflective paint or tape, with some loss of accuracy."
The last point may explain some of the surprise in the glass temperature measurements.
You Sir are a wealth of knowledge! Thank you for your contributions!!
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 07:05 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Whoa there, that's maybe overdoing it a bit!

In this case I read the business card sized user guide that came with my own $15 IR thermometer a year ago and today remembered just enough of it to be able to search online and refresh my memory of the relevant buzzwords.

This thread reminds me: I always thought it would be interesting to take a thermal camera into a stock bus and have a look, especially in the summertime. This year I bought another bus, and in the hottest July on record for Salt Lake City no less. But I didn't even think of the thermal camera until I saw this thread today. We're supposed to warm back up to mid-70's here by the end of the week. As cadillackid points out the angle of the sun just isn't the same now as it was in July, but maybe it'll still be interesting.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 07:08 PM   #13
Bus Geek

I always hate that about IR thermometers becuase when im working on HVAC it would be so nice if I could measure the pipe temperatures with one.. but of course I learned early on thats very inaccurate.. dull mat surfaces they seem to do pretty good with... even flat light colored painted surfaces.. just not much reflectivity or they are inaccurate.
-Christopher
Old 09-25-2017, 07:11 PM   #14
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by family wagon View Post
Some sensors have an adjustable emissivity setting, which can be set to measure the temperature of reflective and non-reflective surfaces.

I don't think my $15 Harbor Freight tool accounts for emissivity. Makes sense because my hand disagreed with the #s.

This got me wondering while I was working inside the bus. I had my hand on the wall (foam), then moved forward and my hand was on a rib and it felt HOT. It felt like someone had a torch on it. Seems like the ribs focus the big sheet panel heat to a point of ingress.

I can't wait for the Harbor Freight FLIR camera. Have seen the smartphone ones- way nifty.

> Cadillac: I tried to tilt the Earth, but no go. I guess I'll have to drive down to Florida for retest (and help you guys party) this weekend!
Old 09-25-2017, 07:20 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Quote:
I don't think my $15 Harbor Freight tool accounts for emissivity. Makes sense because my hand disagreed with the #s.

This got me wondering while I was working inside the bus. I had my hand on the wall (foam), then moved forward and my hand was on a rib and it felt HOT. It felt like someone had a torch on it. Seems like the ribs focus the big sheet panel heat to a point of ingress.

I can't wait for the Harbor Freight FLIR camera. Have seen the smartphone ones- way nifty.

> Cadillac: I tried to tilt the Earth, but no go. I guess I'll have to drive down to Florida for retest (and help you guys party) this weekend!
ha!! i wish the tilt mechanism would fry and lock with ohio stuck in Summer mode... alas yeah!! be great to meet ya!! and hey sounds like there will be a few other busses down there so while likely no sceni-cruisers or silver-sides still you can hang with some cool bus-folk!!

remains to be seen which bus I drive down.. I knew i shoulda just torew that hib apart on redbyrd myself instead of send it to a shop.. grrrr they are taking too long...
-Christopher