Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
That's true Marc, the longer it sits there the bigger my end of the bargaining stick gets until it sells. I'm sure I can get him to come down more if I'm patient.
East coast, I'm not really in a hurry right now but my goal was to have a bus by the end of summer and have it converted enough I might be able to stay in it partially by December. Long story short I've converted my mom's detached garage into a living space as a way to kind of practice what it might be like to live in a school bus and as a way to save a lot of money quickly. I love my mom to death for letting me do this to her garage. I'm sitting pretty comfortable at the moment so there's no real rush, but sooner is better than later and I kind of have that money burning a hole in my pocket feeling right now I guess. I'm willing to travel pretty far for a decent bus so it doesn't have to be from Colorado but if it does come from here there is better chance that it might have a Webasto heater which I plan on using to heat the floors and possibly domestic hot water as well.
I guess the bottom line is I know exactly how much I'd be willing to pay for my bus if it was top-tier but I wouldn't say that this one is, and I'm not sure that I could talk this guy down to a price that I would really feel comfortable with.
Well you're in a REALLY good state for bus hunting.
You shouldn't have to travel too far.
School is starting back up everywhere so the auctions won't be as lively as summer but the DEALS are in winter.
I got a NICE shorty for $1760 in Aurora a couple years ago.
Sold it for $4900 on Craigslist a year later.
Came with new tires and all!
Old 08-13-2018, 08:56 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Year: TBD
I know that patience is the obvious answer but I've become pretty narrow-minded I guess on the bus that I'm looking for (IC FE-300 to be exact for a few reasons) so I get really excited when I see one come up in a search. And honestly it's pretty cool to interact with you East Coast CB. I've been lurking this site for about 3 years and created a profile two and a half years ago. Your name shows up in almost every forum I go through. I guess the other half of it is I can't wait to actually be an active person on this forum.
Rojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:44 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Quote:
I know that patience is the obvious answer but I've become pretty narrow-minded I guess on the bus that I'm looking for (IC FE-300 to be exact for a few reasons) so I get really excited when I see one come up in a search. And honestly it's pretty cool to interact with you East Coast CB. I've been lurking this site for about 3 years and created a profile two and a half years ago. Your name shows up in almost every forum I go through. I guess the other half of it is I can't wait to actually be an active person on this forum.
Why that model?
I'd take a Genesis over that ANY day.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:50 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Why that model?

........ They are like the Mercedes of school buses.
o1marc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:02 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Why that model?
I really don't want anything over 30 feet because most campgrounds can accommodate it. The 10 window bus is right at 30 ft and I want a flat nose in order to accommodate the most amount of living space for this length. I also want a bus with a solid diesel motor and the DT466 seems to be the best. I'm relatively certain that due to the layout of the bus this was the only engine that was ever used in the Fe 300 series. I see these buses all over town and I like the way that they look in general and every single one of them that I've seen is a handi bus. I like the idea of being able to use the lift for my motorcycle and if I decide to not use the lift I still get a second door on the passenger side which I can use as another entrance, so that's a bit of a bonus as well.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:22 AM   #16
Bus Geek

Quote:
I really don't want anything over 30 feet because most campgrounds can accommodate it. The 10 window bus is right at 30 ft and I want a flat nose in order to accommodate the most amount of living space for this length. I also want a bus with a solid diesel motor and the DT466 seems to be the best. I'm relatively certain that due to the layout of the bus this was the only engine that was ever used in the Fe 300 series. I see these buses all over town and I like the way that they look in general and every single one of them that I've seen is a handi bus. I like the idea of being able to use the lift for my motorcycle and if I decide to not use the lift I still get a second door on the passenger side which I can use as another entrance, so that's a bit of a bonus as well.

There's no one model of bus built that way. However a bus is ordered, they'll build it.
Older buses are MUCH better built.
I wouldn't even consider anything after 04.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:22 AM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

What's different a out the way they that they are built after 04?
Quote:
There's no one model of bus built that way. However a bus is ordered, they'll build it.
Older buses are MUCH better built.
I wouldn't even consider anything after 04.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:28 AM   #18
Bus Geek

Quote:
What's different a out the way they that they are built after 04?
Emissions, multiplexed electrical nightmares, lowering of manufacturing quality... The newer the bus the more unrealistic it becomes for an individual to undertake for a conversion project.

Pre-04's back to the late 90's were computer controlled but otherwise not full of emissions equipment and crazy, problematic electrical systems.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:24 AM   #19
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
What he said x 2.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 07:59 PM   #20

Choice....

Check out this listing from Alabama...