Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2017, 10:34 AM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I need to insulate my carpenter bus somehow.. in florida summer I sit in the driver seat with 65,000 BTU of A/C. and the only place thats cool is where my dash vents are blowing.. in winter as I have found out this week.. I had every heater on high driving around in 0f yesterday and I was still cold except for near the heaters.. (I know laugh now you in canada seem to dig this below zero crap)...

I love the stock look too.. I may just have to install another air conditioner and more heaters in that bus to maintain comfort.. lol..
-Christopher
"(I know laugh now you in canada seem to dig this below zero crap)... "

Christopher, not much difference here than there, only about 200 miles north of you as the crow flies, and I only dig on below zero temps when I am sitting beside a 500* f woodstove humping away, otherwise it totally sucks! hands can't take it anymore even after working all my life in lots of outdoor conditions.

The stock look is for more than looks.. remove that strength and what have you got? An accident waiting to happen is what. Those panels really stiffen it up and prevent any section from crushing in a rollover. Mine looks as good as it did as the day it came off the assembly line in that respect so I dig that part. This bus will outlive me in every aspect so just trying to keep some of the original ambience.

Have you looked at how they do window coverings for yachts? They use different methods of fastening in those plastic type windows etc. You could do that in your bus for the a/c. Make a curtain behind the driver area and retain that a/c where you need it. They can be fastened with velcro, zippers or snap buttons and are removeable if need be.
On mine, I built a wall directly behind the driver seat and across enclosing the stairwell too. I put a 2" wooden door with decorative window cutouts to separate the main cabin from the driver. The driver area has a 10kbtu
home a/c centered above the windshield as high as I dared go, so no trouble keeping cool while driving.
Also, am just now experimenting a bit with a material called "Reflectrix" I think. Like foil both sides but redirects heat back at the firewall. This old Cat gets warm but not unbearable up here. Lining the whole area below the dash.
I tried this stuff laying it on the hot woodstove top to test. One side is 500*at the stovetop. The stuff is like 3/16" thick and is barely warm on the side exposed to the air. Diggin on that for sure. So you might try a few things like that.
By the way, how was that lasagna the other day? Made me hungry you bugger!

John