Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2015, 08:13 PM   #1
Skoolie

this vs skoolie

So im having a had time finding the bus Iwant, blue bird tc1000 with the flat roof and smaller wheels etc. So ihappen to come across a 1997 Chevy P30
and wanted you guys' thoughts. Yay/Nay? i know a bit about it but perhaphs missed something. So lmk. thank you

carneiro1292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 09:59 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
I think its cool, this will look like a rv, so it would make it easer to get into camp grounds, doesn't have the school bus look. is it geared for hwy?, what kind of power motor? down side it looks like low ground clearance , mite it hard for installing tanks etc?
gbstewart
Old 12-08-2015, 11:00 PM   #3
Bus Nut

You could stealth out a P30 you can not stealth a bus, unless you tried to hide in bus barns, but that sounds like a feloniously bad idea. I guess it depends on where you want to find yourself sleeping on the regular?
CaptainInsaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 10:48 AM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Super Coach II, 36 Ft. RE
Engine: Cat 3208T, MT643
I once had an old motor home with a P30 chassis. The load limit for it was only 2000 pounds. That includes passengers, fuel, water and cargo. After discovering this I did a little research and discovered this is typical for most Class A RVs of similar size (mine was 31 ft.)

Here's the math:
45 gallon fresh water tank, full: about 360 pounds.
50 gallon fuel tank, full: about 375 pounds
four adults at avg. 180 pounds: 720 pounds

Just those three items total 1455 pounds, leaving only 545 pounds left for food, luggage, recreational gear, etc., which in total could easily exceed this figure in total.

In contrast, my 35 FT 1990 Crown Super Coach II had a capacity of over 15,000 pounds, and that was before i stripped it of its several hundred pounds of seats. Some of this would be used up by the conversion itself of course, but I'm sure the load capacity left over after completing the conversion would far exceed the 2000 pound limit that my P30 motor home had.

Children drink kOOlaid, adults drink T.E.A.

Gallery: https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/v/Skooli ... +Coach+II/
Locutus is offline   Reply With Quote