Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2010, 10:28 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3L, International
Rated Cap: 35
Thomas drivers switch panel

Well after going back and forth on waqnting to remove the intrument panel or not, I have finally decided to remove it and rebuild it (smaller) as I have removed alot of the switches and wiring.

So here is my question. behind the instrument panel there is a heavy gauge (16-18 gauge) metal panel screwed to the wall and it looks like it goes down and is either under the sheet metal on the floor or over that metal, can't really tell at this point, but I want to remove it and instulate that area the resheet it with wood.(luana) (spelling). So is this panel some sort of grounding panel for the switches (I realize that any metal can be used as a ground as long as it is tied to the frame of the bus) but what kinda of headaches might I run into cutting this thing out. There is a heavy Posative lead that comes into the switch bank. Any one else run into this on a Thomas. By the way I am 1998 Thomas (International) T444E (3800).

I would post a pic but I think my pics are to big, cause recently I have been unable to post any pics.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

dogfinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:08 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 89
Coachwork: thomas
Engine: 7.3 diesel
Re: Thomas drivers switch panel

I didnt remove that panel, I did remove the bottom panel that has the fuse block on it and lower it down. Are you unhooking the flashing light switches? I am rewiring them to be spots. Are you talking about the panel that goes down the wall to the heater? Pls post what you find out in case I want to remove more for the weight? tks
is the heavy positive going to the solenoid?
Old 10-05-2010, 09:34 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1974
Coachwork: CARPENTER
Chassis: GMC-6000
Engine: 454 CHEVY
Rated Cap: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by putterspitt
I am rewiring them to be spots.
it was easy for me in my carpenter. you will just need to cut the wire up in the harness so that the rear lights are now wired to them any more and put them on there own swich relay and braker and thats how i did mine. and just so you know the one's in back are all red and come on with my brake lights and they are 7" sealedbeam light all 8 of themand my 2 head lights.

the BEAST, 350, 4 sm465, np205,
hd d44 4.56, eaton ff 4.56
CAMO-MONSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:59 PM   #4
Skoolie

Putterspit,

For the longest time I could not figure out how to remove the entire switch housing that is on top of the heater box, looking inside where all the wires come into and get routed to there respective switches and terminals. Seeing how I have removed all but 8 or so switches i am going to rebuild the box and make it smaller. Once the heater and switch box is out of the way... there is a heavy duty sheet panel that goes from the window down to the floor, well I unscrewed and the screws on this panel but it will not come out as it goes under the wood floor ansd is attached I believe to the sheet metal of the floor. What I ended up doing was cutting the panel about the same height as the chair rail all the way across, once I put the heater back in you will never know, if I find that it is an integral part of the grounding system i guess I will just have to run a grounding strap to it...

I have kept my flashing lights on the stern and replaced the colored lens with clear, (Back up lights, party lights), and of course I removed the flasher unit so that I can turn on the two inside lights with one switch or have all four on with another flip of a switch. And there is a heavy positive that goes to a solenoid, I just dont know if that solenoid needs to be in contact with metal as I plan to build the new switch housing out of nice wood.

Hope that answers your question.

Thanks Camo-Monster I learn alot for this site and everyone's ideas.

Dogfinn
Old 10-06-2010, 10:19 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 89
Coachwork: thomas
Engine: 7.3 diesel

Dogfinn, there is a ground wire from the solenoid to the wall on mine, I believe the solenoid runs all the circuits up there...
Pics coming soon of my diamond plate mini dash.....
Old 10-07-2010, 11:39 AM   #6
Skoolie

Putter,

Would love to see the diamond plate, I need inspiration and a Vulcan Mind Infusion so that I have the knowledge on how to proceed with the drivers panel.

Learning as go.

Thanks