Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2010, 08:34 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran RE
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Those of you with rear decks...

I don't have a deck, but I drive buses with a lot of tailswing. You sort of get used to it, but you always have to watch. Remember, any vehicle has tailswing if you're close enough to something (I've seen close calls with cargo vans).

The easiest way to find out how wide your tail swings is to go in a parking lot somewhere, get your tires right next to the curb, cut it all the way in the other direction, go forward about 20 feet, then get out and look.

You have to always be thinking about it. When you're approaching a turn, look at what you're going to be next to. On multilane roads, sometimes I try to time it to get my tailswing between two cars in the next lane, but that can be tricky. Another thing you can do is get those plastic bumper guides that stick out at an angle, they look funny but think of them as training wheels.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:03 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1983
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Ford F600
Engine: 370

I added 4' worth of deck out the back and to tell you the truth never worried about it. I always make sure I have plenty of roof before turning or changing lanes. It does get a little tricky when it comes to sqeezing into my infield site at the race track but I try to get there early before it fills up!!! Hard to fit that unit into a 10'wide spot with only a single lane between the rows of Rvs
moerules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 04:03 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas SafTLiner
Chassis: FE
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 60

I have been making mine as a fold up model. When I am not using it, it folds up against the back wall.
Also, it plugs into the hitch, so I can remove it when I am not going to be using it on a trip.
It does eliminate that exit though, and you would definitely need to have the rear camera, if you like to see out the back. I can't see much out that far anyway.
dentedvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:00 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 93
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: ?
Engine: 5.9 Cummins

I added three feet. There is tail swing but I dont worry about it as much as I worry about it dragging the ground on steep grade changes in and out of parking lots. I drove a ladder truck for years in a downtown area and you just have to watch for it. When I back anywhere remotely tight I use a ground guide. Its cheap insurance. If I had a camera I may not use a ground guide. My bus has what I think is a very tight turning radius for such a big vehicle but with all the mirrors supplied, a camera, and knowing that there is more swing, I wouldn't sweat it.
swhite832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 08:19 AM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran RE
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Tailswing

Tailswing demonstration:

Sorry about the bad lighting, I took these early in the morning. It's almost 12 feet from the rear axle to the bumper. I started the turn with my tires on the edge of the pavement, and my back bumper is about 3 feet over the grass. I would guess with your dimensions (wheelbase from a 65pass with OAL almost 40 ft) you'd have about the same - figure up to 4 ft on the outside for a "space cushion."
Old 04-30-2010, 09:32 AM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Bluebird tc2000
Chassis: 3401-3502 ???
Engine: cummins 5.9

thanks for the visual demo....when i feel sketchy about a turn or being to close we always have plenty of ppl to get out and watch my tail...literally

the back up camera is going to alleviate alot of that
cheezypsnookle is offline   Reply With Quote