Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2018, 11:25 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
I am sure it did make a HUGE difference in the way his Skoolie drove down the road. Your friend was 4000 lbs over the rated capacity of the front axle much less the steer tires BEFORE he made his changes. This bus was definitely an accident waiting to happen! He should be glad he has a good friend such as yourself who is concerned for his SAFETY when making suggestions for his build!

Unfortunately it would not surprise "me" if your friend was "Normal" when it came to building a Skoolie. Many of these builds I see here on this site scare me to "Death" when you look at all the weight builders add to their bus and the location on the chassis where the weight is added within the bus.

Clearly very few Skoolie builders ever take into consideration the front axle and front steer tire capacity ratings when designing & building their Skoolie. I hate to say what should be obvious however "Safety First" should be your "First" consideration when designing and building your Skoolie for you and your family!
Cowlitz definitely knows buses.

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 12:50 PM   #22

Hey there! Did you ever go through with this idea? Finding myself asking the same question...
Eneldo4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 07:16 PM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1981
Coachwork: International
Chassis: International
Engine: DT360 international
Rated Cap: 77
the body is NOT part of the chassis structure. we build a lot of tiny houses on school bus chassis, there are a lot of reasons why this is a great starting platform. first the suspension and brakes are superior to trailers. the chassis is much stronger. the chassis can hold more weight safely. tires are rated for the load. So as you can see, there are a lot of reasons to use a bus chassis. we have built over 65 tiny houses on bus chassis and we are currently building our mobile RV shop on a bus chassis with a TINY HOUSe. the main reason I'm doing this is ,people always want to see one but we sale everything we build before its finished. so we are building our own to have to show people what they are like. so yes you very much can build a tiny house on a bus chassis. not only build but build a very safe and structurally sound house.
Old 04-29-2022, 11:09 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big dog View Post
the body is NOT part of the chassis structure. we build a lot of tiny houses on school bus chassis, there are a lot of reasons why this is a great starting platform. first the suspension and brakes are superior to trailers. the chassis is much stronger. the chassis can hold more weight safely. tires are rated for the load. So as you can see, there are a lot of reasons to use a bus chassis. we have built over 65 tiny houses on bus chassis and we are currently building our mobile RV shop on a bus chassis with a TINY HOUSe. the main reason I'm doing this is ,people always want to see one but we sale everything we build before its finished. so we are building our own to have to show people what they are like. so yes you very much can build a tiny house on a bus chassis. not only build but build a very safe and structurally sound house.
Very interesting. I'd love to see what sorts of things you've done with bus chassis if you share photos anywhere online
Andrewclimbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 09:09 PM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

we build professional tiny houses on bus chassis all the time, the advantages are huge!
better breaks, better tire ratings, better safety, better better better!!!!! you cant go wrong
the bus body is built to be a structural box, but its independent of the bus chassis. so we cut the body off right behind the drive area and build a tiny house on the back 30 feet. we are building one now that is a short bus to use as a mobile shop for our mobile rv services. its an international chassis DT 360 (250 HP) with MT 643 Allison ( this combination will fly! over 80 on the highway) but we are adding a twist to this build, we are using a 1964 chevy truck cab and front clip so it will have the front end of a 1964
chevy truck and a tiny house on the back. we are planning to build this unit this year.
Old 05-14-2022, 06:49 AM   #26
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Quote:
we build professional tiny houses on bus chassis all the time, the advantages are huge!
better breaks, better tire ratings, better safety, better better better!!!!! you cant go wrong
the bus body is built to be a structural box, but its independent of the bus chassis. so we cut the body off right behind the drive area and build a tiny house on the back 30 feet. we are building one now that is a short bus to use as a mobile shop for our mobile rv services. its an international chassis DT 360 (250 HP) with MT 643 Allison ( this combination will fly! over 80 on the highway) but we are adding a twist to this build, we are using a 1964 chevy truck cab and front clip so it will have the front end of a 1964
chevy truck and a tiny house on the back. we are planning to build this unit this year.
‐--------------------------
How does your Tiny Home product differ from a DIY RV?

Are the necessary safety inspections performed by a licensed state or county entity?

Are "homeowners" able to obtain:
- Certificate of Occupancy from their local AHJ?
- Homestead tax Exemption from the Property Appraiser?
- Homeowners Insurance?

What additions or changes advance the bus from an RV to a tiny House?

Are we simply redefining "stationery RV" and replacing it with "tiny house"?
You used the word "professional", meaning licensed/bonded/insured Electricians, Plumbers, HVAC, permitted, inspected & certified? Not amateurs, Pros.

A manufactured "Park Model" RV can receive all of the aformentioned homestead inspections and benefits, the same as an on-slab, brick & mortar home. The park model rv manufacturers have upgraded their product and negotiated the licensing & certifications to define their product as a Perminant Residental Structure.
Did you?
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 09:30 AM   #27
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
What sort of gearing is getting you 80+ on the highway? I've got 3.42 to accomplish this.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 11:51 AM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

cost of the trailer

the trailer is to expensive they cost over 15k where a bus will be 5k or less. bus means its a vehicle with a title and registration and that takes it from the housing authority and puts it under RV. so codes and regulations don't apply. but RV use rules do apply, so check the state you're in and see what rules apply to RV's.
Old 05-14-2022, 11:56 AM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

It has a 3.42 diff. but the real reason it runs so fast is the fact the MT trans locks up the converter. so you don't have slipping. the engine was a non after cooler engine rated at 225 horse. I added a after cooler and added propane injection for the hills/ mountains the injection comes in at 6 pounds of boost so when i'm running under 6 pounds boost it is running strictly on veggie oil or engine oil or wheat ever i'm running in it at the time. but when the hills come up (mountains), it will kick in and just increase torgue like a nomad!
Old 05-14-2022, 11:56 AM   #30
Mini-Skoolie

it also has 12R tires on it
Old 05-14-2022, 01:20 PM   #31
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Quote:
the trailer is to expensive they cost over 15k where a bus will be 5k or less. bus means its a vehicle with a title and registration and that takes it from the housing authority and puts it under RV. so codes and regulations don't apply. but RV use rules do apply, so check the state you're in and see what rules apply to RV's.
So its a professionally built RV. Probably inspected by a National RV Inspection Association Inspector. That is what makes it "Professional", right?

Clearly, I'm trying to understand how your product is equal to or better than a factory built RV. Let alone, the Houses you claim to build. Tiny and all. Not a recreation vehicle repair company? Built 240 Homes, tiny style..

Professional (tiny) Home Builder is your claim. Not mine. I do hold multiple licenses, issued by the Dept. of Business & Professional Regulations, in the State of Florida, ergo, I (and the state) consider me to be a Professional in those fields. I have also pulled a child's tooth, however I'm not a Dentist.
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote