Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2018, 05:17 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84lug
Smile Thoughts on using LineX for my floors

I am about to have LineX spray my bare metal floors with a smooth coat of med blue LineX. Then the plan is to build up from that. I took the rubber floors out, because like everyone else my back heaters had caused surface rust on my floors and I wanted to treat them. Can anyone think of a reason why I shouldn't do this???? It's going to be less expensive than building out sub floor over spray in insulation, it will save height, and as far as insulation goes... most of my floor will be covered in fixtures and I can put a runner rug along the isle. Talk me out of it???

Old 05-01-2018, 05:35 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Corbeil
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Ford PowerStroke Diesel 6.0
Rated Cap: GVWR 11,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyInTN View Post
I am about to have LineX spray my bare metal floors with a smooth coat of med blue LineX. Then the plan is to build up from that. I took the rubber floors out, because like everyone else my back heaters had caused surface rust on my floors and I wanted to treat them. Can anyone think of a reason why I shouldn't do this???? It's going to be less expensive than building out sub floor over spray in insulation, it will save height, and as far as insulation goes... most of my floor will be covered in fixtures and I can put a runner rug along the isle. Talk me out of it???
You ever see one of those signs that says "Bridge Freezes Before Roadway"? It's because the air circulation under the bridge allows it to cool faster than the roads preceding and following it. The same is true in the summer when the hot air (especially over that nice, sun-baked road) can encapsulate your bus. Personally, I'd rather lose some height and a few dollars to be more temperature stable and comfortable year round.
weboughtabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 05:40 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
As a protective surface there is nothing wrong with Line-X.

But there are a few things to think about.

In a normal build you will be adding insulation and a sub-floor. In that case the bed-liner is a waste of money because primer is quite good enough.

If you are not planning on insulating the floor, then you are going to have some issues. The biggest is going to be very cold feet in off-seasons, and a big condensation issue. There will be times in the spring and fall when the floor will be permanently wet. There will likely be other times when the interior will get very hot.

Insulation cuts both ways. Without virtually wrapping the bus in it, it's a big tin can and controlling the interior temp will be next to impossible.

Some people can live with that, others insulate.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 05:55 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Can't LineX act as a sealer and top coat cutting out a few steps when prepping the floor before proceeding with whatever insulation and flooring you have planned?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:51 PM   #5
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Can't LineX act as a sealer and top coat cutting out a few steps when prepping the floor before proceeding with whatever insulation and flooring you have planned?
Looking into something to spray under LineX, called Lizzard skin. It has a moisture barrier and sound deadening element and an R factor. I'll let you all know what I find out.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:37 PM   #6
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Quote:
Looking into something to spray under LineX, called Lizzard skin. It has a moisture barrier and sound deadening element and an R factor. I'll let you all know what I find out.
The more I look at it, i would not use a bedliner at all. They have a pre coat acoustic deadener then the heat shield coating goes over that. According to all the reviews this will stop condensation due to its awesome temp resistance.

Tags
linex floors