Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2008, 06:28 PM   #1

Year: 1980
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 366 ci gasser
Time to chime in...

Fellow bus nuts.
My name is Thomas and my bus is a 1980 Chevy with a Wayne body, she is a gasser with a 366ci 4 speed. She has 11 windows air brakes and a dryer on the brakes. I have redone her 2 times this will be #3...Ya we all know what they say for that!

I lived in it for 2 years Colorado winters and all... Covered up a few windows and added a little "R" value to her but not much...2 wood stove's later i have that part right! On and on about how i did this right this time and messed that up that time... My bus has two holes in it one for the wood stove and one for the heater...But it will have a lot more!

I have been saving and trading and singing for stuff for this bus for two long...

Its time to get to work!
Some stuff i have for her.. Stove/oven, hot water heater 10 gallon, 20 gallon,50 gallon fresh water, 3 way fridge, BP solar panels and charge control. Breaker box and tons of wire! Air ride seat, back up two gallon hot water heater 120V...

The list goes on and on...

Its kind of crazy and scary to cut into your bus after you have lived in it and didn't need to cut holes in it to live!
People have always loved my bus... When i lived in a "normal house" and the bus was parked in the driveway people wanted to be in it, party hang out in it...

So my fellow bus nuts...

Let the games begin...

vtwinmotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 06:34 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 6.2 liter diesel
Rated Cap: 24
Re: Time to chime in...

Welcome aboard!

-Ray
Old 12-29-2008, 06:56 PM   #3

A few pics... Before the latest tear down...

Old 12-29-2008, 09:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
Welcome! You may want to consider replacing your flue piping on the woodstove with Class A pipe. If you don't, the creosote will condense inside the pipe, much like moisture on a single pane window, and you'll eventually have a flue fire. Had a buddy a number of years ago who ran the exact same venting up the side of his house, and I warned him of the same thing. He laughed....until a week later, when he experienced his 1st flue fire. He called the FD, fortunately no harm done (except to his skivies). He changed his piping after that.

If you use a Tee in place of the elbow coming out of the side of the bus, you can uncap the bottom & run a flue brush through it without needing to take it apart to clean it.

Look forward to seeing your progress.

Smitty

Thinking someone might catch that...It is all being replaced with some stuff from Selkirk, it has joints that sort of screw into each piece... So i can take it down when driving! I have the stuff down stairs will get pics later of that stuff

And the rusty stuff you see hanging by a thread of plumbing tape is a 6" piece of pipe put into a 8" piece of pipe and stuffed full of dead water heater fuzz with a piece of rebar... Keeps the pipe hott And never need to clean the pipe...

The whole bus will be pretty much gutted! Floor and walls and windows! The wood stove stays thats about it! minus the ugly pipe
Old 12-31-2008, 05:34 PM   #5

Today was cool!

I had one goal to put air in the bus tires. Sounds easy huh? First i had to finish the welds on the $39 generator's muffler. Ya its ugly and home built Pics in a sec. Well about that time i was thinking how many amps my compressor draws and its 11 amps the generator is 1100 watt... Nah don't think i will chance it so i decide to fix the fitting on the bus air brake tank and fill it that way... The bus is a few miles away in storage and a couple trips to and fro and got it done!

And i was so pumped up to drive it i had to keep telling myself just put 90 psi in all the tires and then you can drive her... Lucy my dog was not impressed about all the stuff flying around in the bus! The back is full of stuff and not ready for travel... It is now!

The generator is from parts and stuff i had laying around minus $20 for the motor $10 for the muffler and $9.00 for rubber mounts a few new nuts and bolts but other then that it was all meant for the scrap yard...
Didn't even need the dam thing today... Behold my ugly backup power source! Like the bus seat frames???

Old 01-04-2009, 11:08 AM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas saf-t-liner
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 40

use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without. Nice genny mounts. Keep up the posts and good luck!
recycler is offline   Reply With Quote