Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2009, 05:09 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14
Tin roofing as window skin? Anyone used it?

While wandering through Home Depot yesterday, I happened upon some tin roofing and was surprised by how nice it looked (to me, anyway). It actually looked like it would fit over the windows too.

Since I'm still debating how I want to skin my windows (if at all), I was wondering if anyone has used tin roofing sheets before?

Can anyone see any reason NOT to use them?

TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 07:10 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas Transit Liner
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: CAT 3208 Turbo
Re: Tin roofing as window skin? Anyone used it?

The only thing I could think of is its maybe too thin? If it is the roofing we used on the screen porch I think it might buckle under the wind when driving...
ezbme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 07:13 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguy67
I decided against it because I thought water might collect in the ridges as it would be difficult to seal the ends and all of the holes where I fastened it to the bus. I also imagined my bus sounding like a 40' kazoo going down the road as air caught the leading edges of the ridges. (My imagination again)
I love the idea of a mobile kazoo! Great image.

I'm not really worried about sealing any edges I may have because they can be overlapped so the front covers the back, and there are products out there that can work as waterproofing seals (think doors and window gaskets).

The panels I saw looked like this... ^-------------^-------------^------------- Not very precise, but you get the picture. That particular pattern would blend okay with the side of my bus. I'm not too worried about lack of thickness. Glue is a wonderful thing. I suspect laminating a 1/4" piece of plywood to the back side would do the trick. Especially if that was then backed by some thick foam board and sealed with expanding foam. The plywood would also provide structural integrity for any new window that has to be hung.

I guess the next question is... can those panels be painted? Can galvanized metal be painted at all?
Old 08-03-2009, 11:22 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

[img][/img]black 26 guage panels installed over wood framed windows horizontally,hidden fasteners anything less than 18 guage needs backing,try ti avoid painting galvy if possible
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:25 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

[img][/img] hope that gives you a idea!
Old 08-04-2009, 09:13 AM   #6
Bus Nut

to paint galvanized wash with vinegar and then neutralize with a bakingsoda solution rinse well and prime and paint. also look for factory painted or powder coated barn roof or siding material available in a wide range of colors.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:32 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul iossi
to paint galvanized wash with vinegar and then neutralize with a bakingsoda solution rinse well and prime and paint.
Thanks for the tips! Does it matter what kind of vinegar? White vs. red? And is Arm&Hammer baking soda the type of stuff you're talking about to neutralize the vinegar?
Old 08-04-2009, 02:11 PM   #8
Bus Nut

cheap vinegar and cheap baking soda, you are after the acid in the vinegar to etch the galvanizing/zinc coating and the baking soda to neutralize the acid in the vinegar, it's not about taste, it's all about the chemical action/reaction.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:40 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul iossi
cheap vinegar and cheap baking soda, you are after the acid in the vinegar to etch the galvanizing/zinc coating and the baking soda to neutralize the acid in the vinegar, it's not about taste, it's all about the chemical action/reaction.
Thanks, Paul. I realized it's just the acid and base that's useful, but some vinegars are so... "polluted" with flavors and additives that I was looking for info if there was a brand to avoid. "Cheap", however, is good enough for me.

Timbuk, those panels really look like they were made for you bus! Thanks for sharing the pics. In the second image, are you in the painting stage?

Kinda looks like the bus is trying out for a zombie movie.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:34 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

the second stage is from all the vinegar and baking soda,the first stage is what it looked like after drinking the vinigar and baking soda! As Smitty says,its better to find a panel that is baked on enamel or scuffand paint a baked on panel.You can clean and paint a galvy panel,but the "hands of time" will have their say in the end....... timbuk
Old 08-05-2009, 09:43 AM   #11
Bus Nut

i also would opt for the prepainted panels, but tyger asked about painting galvy panels and i put the info out their.
i also like the roof panels from the point that they have some shape/ridges in them to prevent warping/oilcan during and after the install.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:57 PM   #12
Bus Nut

All great replies! Thanks guys for the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
If it were me, I'd buy panels of color, and simply scuff & paint them.
Would anyone be able to offer suggestions on where to find such panels? Our local big box hardware stores sell metal shed kits, but the cost seems rather steep just for a few pieces of siding out of the entire box. Any other ideas? Am I just thinking too much inside the (big) box?
Old 08-05-2009, 11:16 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

go to a roofing shop,look for snap lock panels in a 12 or 16 inch profilr.Or look for a big job near you that has metal rooofing going on talk to the roofer and always mention beer.timbuk
Old 08-06-2009, 09:32 AM   #14
Bus Nut

big box blue or orange as well as any good lumber yard should have single panels of metal roofing and siding available, also ask at the farm supply store like tractor supply.