Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2012, 03:08 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14
Tire Pressure?

I know on a car or truck, the suggested tire pressure is listed on a label in the door jam. How do I find the suggested tire pressure on the bus?

TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:05 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: IHC
Engine: Dt360
Rated Cap: 19
Re: Tire Pressure?

In my Genesis there is a sticker on the wall above the windshield that shows the vehicle's GVWR, axle weight ratings, and tire sizes and pressures.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:46 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

also there should be some mention on the tire as to it's max allowed pressure
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:12 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Thanks guys. I was going to use the tire rating if there was no other way to determine the recommended pressure. I do have a tag still above the window. I'll look for it tomorrow.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:53 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth

For what it is worth, I'm running what John is running...100 psi in the front and 90 on the back duals
Old 03-22-2012, 07:11 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: CAT 1160 V-8 Diesel
Rated Cap: 72

My tires say 120lbs on the sides. The guy at the tire store only put in 100lbs in all of the tires. I asked him why he did not put in 120lbs. He said that when the tires are rolling on the road, they will heat up and the pressure will raise. Apparently that is common practice on tractor trailer tires.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:15 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

i put about 100 or so, and when driving bonk the tires when i stop...
Old 03-22-2012, 06:56 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1973
Engine: CAT 1160 V-8 Diesel

John, I thought the same thing about putting 120lbs in the tires. That is what they say on the tires. I figured that the tire guy knew what he was talking about. Perhaps he was mistaken. I always believed that tires should be inflated to the rating on the side.

I guess that I will get them pumped up to 120 before my next trip. I will probably get better gas (diesel) mileage.

Thanks for your input.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:16 PM   #9
Bus Nut

So... I've been thinking of buying a smallish compressor to run some power tools (to make up for the battery packs not holding up very long), and thought I may as well get a tire gage and inflation stem, etc.

Is there a recommended size I should get for the tank? I was looking at this one:

Would this be big enough to fill the tires do you think? Or is it too big?
Old 03-27-2012, 03:30 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

In my opinion, the air compressor will work for filling tires, and running things like an air stapeler. It will not last long running air tools as both the capacity of the compressor itself, and the tank capacity is quite small. I have 4 air compressors. The one i use for my air stapeler is one like that is pictured. The one i use for sandblasting, and air tools, like the d a sander, is a used one from a tire shop i bought 10 yrs ago. It has a huge motor and it doesn't let me sand blast continuiously... So expect the little compressor to do things like tires, and expect to wait for it to build up pressure if you try to run something like a normal air tool. just my two cents.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:47 AM   #11
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TE2000 FE
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

Look at the cfm as well as max pressure. if the cfm is real low then you will be filling tires for a long time. You would need somewhere around 6 cfm or more fore tires, and even then if you were filling an empty tire it would take awhile. Also most air tools require 4.5 cfm or more to operate at full capacity.

Chuck
cschlessman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:02 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 94
Coachwork: b/b
Chassis: tc2000
Engine: 5.9

just put 100 psi and be done with,,,,same old B,S about the tire pressurs just put it in and move on,
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:29 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

If you got a bus with air brakes, you could use your bus's air compressor (bus running). Mine pumps to 120, then starts pumping again somewhere at 90 + psi. You could just put the air chuck on the tire for awhile until you stop hearing air flow(& then wait some), and you'd probably be a 100 psi. Yes, you should use a gage, but you could get away without one. Tires cold.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:06 AM   #14
Bus Nut

On all tc2000 buses there are two air tanks under the driver side, and one in the rear of the bus over the rear,so go back to the two tanks on the front an pum into the low tank on the bottom, by takeing the air drin pit cock off .u will still need the drin plus an air hose fitting,,if u don't under stand this,i will send u a picture.....gezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old 03-28-2012, 09:49 AM   #15
Bus Crazy

When you add a tee and so forth to the tank,- along with a quick coupler for air... only use the high quality steel american quick coupling fittings, not the cheap harbor freight brass stuff. Sometimes one bump and the harbor freight stuff will just break. I have used the american quick coupler ends for the last 30 years, and those type of fittings can be bought at harbor freight also.

I was reminded of the harbor freight stuff breaking when i couldnt find a american quick coupler for my staple gun hose, so i had some of those brass ends from harbor freight - which i dont use... and when i dropped the stapeler, the harbor freight fitting just broke in half....
Old 03-28-2012, 01:38 PM   #16
Bus Nut

right on 49,but some of them at lowes or home depot are crap too ,so paid for the good one's
Old 03-29-2012, 05:24 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith
On all tc2000 buses there are two air tanks under the driver side, and one in the rear of the bus over the rear,so go back to the two tanks on the front an pum into the low tank on the bottom, by takeing the air drin pit cock off .u will still need the drin plus an air hose fitting,,if u don't under stand this,i will send u a picture
Pictures are worth a thousand words! Any images you have will be a tremendous help. I know where my large tank is, but am not sure about any smaller ones (if, indeed, there are any others on a Genesis). The large tank has 3 fittings, though. Might be worth doing instead of trying to mess with the portable air tank.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:18 PM   #18

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

The label for my Genesis says 120 psi cold front and 90 psi cold rear.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:30 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

you should weigh your bus and have air pressure corresponding to the weight on the charts...
Old 07-19-2012, 08:01 AM   #20
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78

Having worked in the commerical truck tire biz for a few years Ill chime in on this one. This by far is THE MOST IMPORTANT aspect of tire care. This affects the drive, feel, pull, fuel consumption, and wear of the tire. There is not a single answer to this question as to what you should run but heres what i would suggest.

1) look on the side of the tire. It will contain a load range on it. This will contain information as to how much load that tire can handle SAFELY.

2) it should give a max capacity at a given psi. You can use this but the ride will be a lot stiffer and jarring.

3) take a look at the makers website for that particular model of tire. It usually contains a wieght to pressure chart. Experiment with pressures (check when cold only) to see what you like. As others have mentioned above a typical pressure will be around 100 psi for all. It may vary 5 to 10 psi typically for what people like.

As for compressors most of those will work but you will work them to death. The holding tanks are very small. Yes they will work but if your just adding pressure it wont take that long but if its totally flat your going to be there a while.
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote