Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-18-2017, 07:54 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Hazleton, PA
Posts: 47
Year: 2000
Coachwork: International
Chassis: AmTran
Engine: International DT466E 7.6L inline 6
Rated Cap: 84
Titling and registration in PA

Hey gang, wondering if maybe someone here could shed some light on this.
Im in the great state of PA, and curious on some title/reg issues.
When I swapped the title over, the notary registered it as a station wagon. It has basically a car plate on it, no truck designation and no weight class sticker. The plates are only $36 a year compared to $116. I have Insurance thru progressive, just need to get it inspected.

Now the question is, is this legal and will I run into any issues? I was going to swap it to a motorhome title, but in PA that requires $150 special inspection, pictures sent to PennDOT, then a waiting game of almost 2 months to get the plate and title. If I can avoid that it would be great.

The notary said shes been doing notary stuff for 11 years and this would work, I just figured Id check with some ALT sources.

Thanks yall!
Brasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 08:07 AM   #2
Skoolie
 
jctrembly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Terra Alta, WV
Posts: 136
Year: 2000
Chassis: Amtram RE
Engine: 466 250hp HT
If it doesn't, play dumb and delete this thread ;) or use the time to get the RV plate. Too bad I cant convert my bus to a station wagon in WV. If there was any blowback I would assume more would go to the notary. As long as you are unable to transport more than 16 people in your station wagon and you stay under 26K pounds loaded I really don't see how the DOT could say much. Now if your weight is going above 26K and your going outside the state of PA it's worth the $150 to become an RV. I don't know PA law, I'm not a lawyer. I just drive alot in your state who has tough DOT. Lol

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
jctrembly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 08:29 AM   #3
Bus Crazy
 
joeblack5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: pa
Posts: 1,408
Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford e350 2 mercedes
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
In Pa as well and I requested our bus to be titled as a station wagon, just cheaper. It was possible as long as you leave some seats inside and not use it as a box van to move equipment or cargo
If I would have wanted it titled as a truck then I would to have it weighted so that they can list the max cargo weight.

Now the bus we have is a mini bus based on E350 econoline chassis


So I think you are fine unless you are using it as work or cargo vehicle.
good luck
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 08:31 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Hazleton, PA
Posts: 47
Year: 2000
Coachwork: International
Chassis: AmTran
Engine: International DT466E 7.6L inline 6
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by jctrembly View Post
If it doesn't, play dumb and delete this thread ;) or use the time to get the RV plate. Too bad I cant convert my bus to a station wagon in WV. If there was any blowback I would assume more would go to the notary. As long as you are unable to transport more than 16 people in your station wagon and you stay under 26K pounds loaded I really don't see how the DOT could say much. Now if your weight is going above 26K and your going outside the state of PA it's worth the $150 to become an RV. I don't know PA law, I'm not a lawyer. I just drive alot in your state who has tough DOT. Lol

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Well my GVW is 35k, but probably really only weighs 18-20k, although I do plan on upgrading my license.

If something wasnt right it really wouldnt be my fault eh? As a state licensed notary gave me the info and plate.

We do plan to hit up a few states, but if its legally registered in my state in theory it should be ok. Idunno, maybe just thinking too much, I wanna hit the road already!!
Brasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 08:32 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Hazleton, PA
Posts: 47
Year: 2000
Coachwork: International
Chassis: AmTran
Engine: International DT466E 7.6L inline 6
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack5 View Post
In Pa as well and I requested our bus to be titled as a station wagon, just cheaper. It was possible as long as you leave some seats inside and not use it as a box van to move equipment or cargo
If I would have wanted it titled as a truck then I would to have it weighted so that they can list the max cargo weight.

Now the bus we have is a mini bus based on E350 econoline chassis


So I think you are fine unless you are using it as work or cargo vehicle.
good luck
Yeah it was like $1200 a year based on my weight for a truck plate. NOPE!
The $36 yearly I can do.
Brasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 08:42 AM   #6
Skoolie
 
jctrembly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Terra Alta, WV
Posts: 136
Year: 2000
Chassis: Amtram RE
Engine: 466 250hp HT
Yea, truck plates in WV are based on weight as well. RV tag's exempts vehicals from weight and many other DOT requirement however going above 26K without an RV tag could still be a problem, but then again maybe not. I drive truck and I'm cautious as I earn my keep with my CDL. My route is tight enough that if DOT messes with me for a while I'm forced to spend an additional night out, and if I loose my CDL... Does your bus have Air Brakes? I'm not sure how PA handel's that but an RV tag normally makes that a mute point.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
jctrembly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 08:52 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Hazleton, PA
Posts: 47
Year: 2000
Coachwork: International
Chassis: AmTran
Engine: International DT466E 7.6L inline 6
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by jctrembly View Post
Yea, truck plates in WV are based on weight as well. RV tag's exempts vehicals from weight and many other DOT requirement however going above 26K without an RV tag could still be a problem, but then again maybe not. I drive truck and I'm cautious as I earn my keep with my CDL. My route is tight enough that if DOT messes with me for a while I'm forced to spend an additional night out, and if I loose my CDL... Does your bus have Air Brakes? I'm not sure how PA handel's that but an RV tag normally makes that a mute point.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Yup ive got air brakes. Interestingly enought PA doesnt want the license upgrade for the air brakes, just because the GVW is 35K.
Brasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 12:46 PM   #8
Bus Geek
 
Robin97396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Willamina, Oregon
Posts: 6,409
Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
It's very interesting to meet a station wagon owner. Mine is a van as determined by the DMV, also with car plates. My van is only 26' long and weighs in at about 19k.

The problems arise from people trying to use buses for commercial purposes. If you've got beds and cooking areas they know you're not using your station wagon for commercial purposes. I believe interstate travel will be uneventful, while I'd expect trouble from crossing Canada's border if you don't have an air brake endorsement.

Oregon doesn't have an air brake endorsement for licenses, just a full CDL with associated annual physical and such, which I'd never pass. I'm driving a van until there is a restrictive problem, but I probably won't make it out of the states. I've spent so many years flying around the world and living on different continents that I specifically want to see the US, plus I'm at that traveling around the country age. Besides, I'm tired of learning to cuss and order beer in different languages.
__________________
Robin
Nobody's Business
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 01:03 PM   #9
Bus Geek
 
Robin97396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Willamina, Oregon
Posts: 6,409
Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
I'm curious about how you plan to build your "station wagon." Are you going with the full RV build?

I'm eliminating the things that would technically make this into an RV by Oregon standards, choosing to go with removable modular units suited to my simple furnishing needs. No permanently mounted propane tanks or sewer system. No stove pipe out the side window. I'm thinking a Webasto for heat and possibly a diesel stove, so everything works off of one fuel source. I can legitimately add an extra fuel tank to this "van."

Put a latch and hasp on your fuel and battery doors.
__________________
Robin
Nobody's Business
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:14 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Hazleton, PA
Posts: 47
Year: 2000
Coachwork: International
Chassis: AmTran
Engine: International DT466E 7.6L inline 6
Rated Cap: 84
Good Idea on the doors! Ive got the main ones locked up but gave no thought to batteries.

We plan to build it into a full fledged home on wheels, no black tank, wood stove and propane to supplement, possibly a webasto if I can find one for the right price. I like what you said about being on the same source.

We dont plan for a generator right away, as we plan to be on shore often and our batteries will supply enough for some lights, computer, and fridge.

I most likely will switch to an RV title, I had it staged this week with 6 of the 7 things needed, but then we got hit with 30" of snow, shes parked in an alley and I need every inch to get her out, so shes buried for a few weeks. I plan to remove my staged stuff and start tearing the floor out now, and at least get the floor nice so the kiddo can play around while we work.

Ill be starting a build thread soon, make sure to check it out!
Brasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.