Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2016, 09:23 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Talking Took a Drive today

Hi,

So i just returned from a drive, wow this is so for me!
I bought the bus 4 months ago and this is the second drive, third if you count the white knuckled drive home from picking it up.

My build is minimalistic; basically installed solar and filled the bus with belongings.

Goodness what a treat it is to drive these magnificent machines.
I drove to dinner and afterwards did not need to wait till i got back to take an after dinner nap; climbed into bed and laid down right there in the parking lot with the cool breeze blowing through the windows. The kid in me is happy.
Still pinching myself that life can really be this enjoyable... SINGLE! lol

https://youtu.be/ORsEjw8X0pU

Skoolie - Album on Imgur

Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 10:08 PM   #2
Bus Nut

I think the last picture in that imgur album is of the front rims, can anyone tell me if this is a split rim? These aren't the famous "widow makers" right? I mean those were back from the 50s?
Old 09-05-2016, 01:51 AM   #3
Skoolie

Coachwork: International Harvester
Chassis: S1700
Engine: 6.9l IDI
Rated Cap: 27 (adults)
Not to worry those aren't split rims. They are California style. People were still using them in the 80s. They're totally fine, the only drawback to them is that there is no super good way to balance them on the hub, if you look, they are basically hubless rims held in place by friction. Sweet bus, love your shift knob, looks like an old cut glass doorknob haha
Famousinternetjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 03:00 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famousinternetjesus View Post
Not to worry those aren't split rims. They are California style. People were still using them in the 80s. They're totally fine, the only drawback to them is that there is no super good way to balance them on the hub, if you look, they are basically hubless rims held in place by friction. Sweet bus, love your shift knob, looks like an old cut glass doorknob haha
Oh thank you, i thought that was the case after an internet search but your info helped confirm. The reason i asked is because a guy at a diesel repair place thought they weere the widow makers, but his job only brought in 2000 or newer rigs. I admit i was nervous whilest filling em up with air lol

Yep you got it; an antique emerald green glass door knob ! lol
Almost the same thread pattern as the original shift knob too.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:47 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Technically your wheels are called "Dayton's" I didn't look closely but if you have them in the rear they can be very hard to get to run straight. Meaning if someone were to follow you your wheels would look bent. Nothing wrong with them. As stated above they can be difficult to balance. Take a closer look at the spacer between your rear dual's. They can rust and can be hard to find replacements

FWIW
Eric

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
daddyoften is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 10:06 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 92
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 5.9L
Rated Cap: 77
well thanks, i was wondering the same thing about the front rims on my bus. also i see in that album you've got a wood stove, its the exact same thing as mine. spend $5 at a home improvement store and that thing will look new. i did it to mine, bought about $2.50 in very coarse steel wool and $2.50 in this rustoleum high temp paint for wood stoves (1 can) and the thing looks sweet.

BurlKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 01:04 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurlKing View Post
well thanks, i was wondering the same thing about the front rims on my bus. also i see in that album you've got a wood stove, its the exact same thing as mine. spend $5 at a home improvement store and that thing will look new. i did it to mine, bought about $2.50 in very coarse steel wool and $2.50 in this rustoleum high temp paint for wood stoves (1 can) and the thing looks sweet.

People give up on rusty cast iron skillets too... Sell them cheap at flea markets/garage sales!

Put some vegetable oil in there, scrub with stainless steel pad, get back down to original surface, wash/dry, coat with oil and throw it in the hottest oven you can find for 45minutes... Turn off oven, let it cool naturally.
Then coat with vegetable oil, wipe down and put away.

I can slide eggs around just like the Teflon guys!
Old 09-05-2016, 04:18 PM   #8
Bus Nut

That looks fantastic! wow. like a new stove.
I am so excited to fire up this winter i can hardly wait.
When you mount your stove are you putting a steel sheet between it and the base?
I read somewhere that is recomended.
Oh and how cool is this; dumpstered 5 fire extinguishers last week!
The things people throw away. Actually it appeared the apartment complex got issued new ones so these had to go, but they are unused, charged, and perfect.
Sure hope i never use 'em!

I seem to be in the minority opinion on rust here but i dont mind things looking old and rusty.... and i'm a terrible painter lol so i gave up years ago and just surrendered to the rust Gods. "Rust away!"
Old 09-05-2016, 07:26 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I have the same wheels.. Daytons that are NOT split rim.. I run standard 11R22.5 tires on them just fine..

Many of the large Dump trucks still have them... dump trucks have a long life due to low mileage and solid engines that can be rebuilt a time or two.. most all tire shops that are reputable and handle commercial vehicles regularly know how to mount and "true" the wedges on daytons..

I agree on DRIVING the bus... my conversion is very minimal.. Ive now driven 8000 miles in the 4 months ive had my bus!!! I totallty dig driving it.. and people love it wherever it goes..

its amazing the number of people that would love to have a bus.. ive run into so many people that say "im so envious! I wish I could travel around the country in a bus!"..

ive driven mine on work trips, this trip was to transport items to baton rouge for flood victims then to take furniture to my apartment in st pete..

today I used it to go to Best buy.. then for groceries.. (I dont have my car down here yet.. so I have.. well.. a BUS! as my daily driver).. then I webt to IKEA..watched a couple people trying to cram a couple Sofas in a too-small van.. asked if they lived far? "we live in st pete".. 'hey i do too and I have a BUS!!'..so I brought their stuff home in the bus.. 2 out of the 3 rode the bus and had a ball... the 3rd sap got stuck driving the van home

you are gonna have some real fun with your bus!!!

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote