Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2018, 09:21 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Chassis: International CE 300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 71 passenger / 12 window
Took Onward on a maiden voyage today... some observations and questions

Finally got the conversion done enough to get the title switched, then got insurance and plates. Had some time today, and I thought, "It's the hottest day of at least the last 4 1/2 years. I think I'll go for a pleasure drive in a huge tin can with no air conditioning!"

So, this drive wasn't as bad as the drive to bring the bus home in December after almost 5 feet of snow. All of my gauges worked the whole time... maybe... which makes me wonder why they didn't work so well in the winter, but perhaps that'll be my first question. Anyone have any idea why my gauge cluster would freeze in the winter (as in, all needles stop where they are and do not move at all from those spots until I turn the engine off)?

Next question. It appears that I'm governed to 65 mph. It accelerated strongly up to that speed and then instantly decided it'd had enough. Transmission is an Allison AD2000 and I was spinning about 2,100 rpm at that speed. It looked a little high to me, even if I wasn't grabbing 6th gear because it's locked out. Is that engine speed normal for 65 mph? (Engine is a DT466E.)

Also, I wonder how easy it'd be to unlock 6th gear on this transmission...

I noticed that I'm struggling to keep the bus centered. While I am managing not to drift over the center line, I do appear to be hugging the right-hand side of the road, unless my eyes are playing tricks on me. It looks like, if I'm about one foot from the center line on my driver's side, I can't see pavement out the main door to my right. Is that normal, or am I just unfortunate enough to be driving on uncommonly narrow roads?

I'm sure, with the paint job I've done on the back of the bus so far, I made quite a scene on the road...

RomaniGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:44 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
road speed

Some thoughts,

I don't think 2,100 rpm at 65mph is too high. High maybe, but not too high. I am going to have a self imposed 65mph speed limit on my short bus. Part of the reason for the bus is too smell the roses anyways. Read all the thread about unlocking the allison. Then you will have your answer about how difficult it is to unlock an allison transmission.

It also sound like you have enough power to go faster, if you can get it unlocked.

william.
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:59 PM   #3
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnakansas View Post
Some thoughts,

I don't think 2,100 rpm at 65mph is too high. High maybe, but not too high. I am going to have a self imposed 65mph speed limit on my short bus. Part of the reason for the bus is too smell the roses anyways. Read all the thread about unlocking the allison. Then you will have your answer about how difficult it is to unlock an allison transmission.

It also sound like you have enough power to go faster, if you can get it unlocked.

william.

I really don't want or need to go faster. I probably won't be hitting that 65 mark much, but even if I do, it's not like I really want to be going 80 in a ten-ton vehicle. For me it's more that I could get better gas mileage and longer engine life if I could be at a lower engine speed for the same drive speed.
Old 07-01-2018, 11:15 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
speed vs rpm

agreed, same mph with lower rpm = better fuel economy.

Have you read the thread about unlocking allisons?

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 01:17 AM   #5
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnakansas View Post
agreed, same mph with lower rpm = better fuel economy.

Have you read the thread about unlocking allisons?

william
Yeah. Some people think the AD2000 is a 5 speed. I wonder if that's true. I couldn't pay enough attention to shift points to count the gears I have.

Also, is it unusual for the transmission temperature gauge never to go above about 130 degrees? The needle didn't go above 1/3 of the way between the 100 line and the 180 line. I drove 16.5 miles, 6 of which were at 65 mph. Outside temperature was mid-80s.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:11 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
I really don't want or need to go faster. I probably won't be hitting that 65 mark much, but even if I do, it's not like I really want to be going 80 in a ten-ton vehicle. For me it's more that I could get better gas mileage and longer engine life if I could be at a lower engine speed for the same drive speed.
2100rpm is a nice cruising RPM for that engine.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:13 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
Yeah. Some people think the AD2000 is a 5 speed. I wonder if that's true. I couldn't pay enough attention to shift points to count the gears I have.

Also, is it unusual for the transmission temperature gauge never to go above about 130 degrees? The needle didn't go above 1/3 of the way between the 100 line and the 180 line. I drove 16.5 miles, 6 of which were at 65 mph. Outside temperature was mid-80s.
In your bus the 2000 is a 5 speed. The 2006 and up are the ones that can have the 6th gear enabled. Chris explained it in a couple of other threads but I'm not as smart as him.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:33 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Your trans temp should be between 180° and 210° under normal operation. I would suspect a bad gauge or sender in your case.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote