Old 09-27-2007, 01:27 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

towing with transit/tour type bus?

i'm selling my current bus in favor of a diesel pusher RV or a converted coach bus, like an MCI, etc. i'm curious as to if these coach/transit/tour type buses are capable of towing well? i have the need to tow 14-15k lbs. on most trips. the motor i would probably go for is the 8v-71 or 8v-92.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:47 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
Re: towing with transit/tour type bus?

Yes I see bands that come into town and people at the track with them pulling trailers all the time.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 11:14 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 International diesel
Rated Cap: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
Yes I see bands that come into town and people at the track with them pulling trailers all the time.
So wait... people actually go to Iowa? On purpose?
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...DSC02426-1.jpg
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 11:35 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

i've done some extensive searching over on busnuts and google in general today, but still haven't really gotten an answer for my question. i've read all the debates on mounting hitches to the engine cradle, seen people mention they tow larger open and enclosed trailers, etc. but i've found nothing as to how well they tow.

i'm looking for some specific things like "my bus equipped with X drivetrain does 70mph on the flats but drops to 50mph on grades..." things like that. anyone?
Old 09-28-2007, 12:07 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: 7.3 International diesel
Rated Cap: 60

Why are you dead set on a pusher? You can get front engine buses with a DT466 that are the same size. Then you could just mount your hitch on the back. I'm thinking that if you were to weld a hitch on a rear engine bus (You'd probably want it welded if you're towing 15K!), you could run into some serious problems should you ever need to drop the engine.

Anyways, my bus with the 7.3L and AT545 will go 65, but I like to cruise at 55mph to keep the RPM's down. Once up to speed, it maintains that speed up any of the hills around Oklahoma. Yes, we do have hills. But I'm guessing if I ever went to Colorado, I'd be going pretty slooooowwwwww......
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...DSC02426-1.jpg
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 12:32 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 7.3 diesel
Rated Cap: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC10Chief
So wait... people actually go to Iowa? On purpose?

I go to Iowa on purpose. I used to say there is nothing in Iowa but I have changed my thoughts on that once I looked to see what is there. I've gone to the Surf Ballroom 3 times now and I visited Dyersville which is where the movie "Field Of Dreams" was filmed. Next week I plan on going to Council Bluffs to see Collective Soul, and on the way there I'll make a stop at Freedom Rock to see the painted rock.
wmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 01:00 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC10Chief
Why are you dead set on a pusher? You can get front engine buses with a DT466 that are the same size. Then you could just mount your hitch on the back. I'm thinking that if you were to weld a hitch on a rear engine bus (You'd probably want it welded if you're towing 15K!), you could run into some serious problems should you ever need to drop the engine.

Anyways, my bus with the 7.3L and AT545 will go 65, but I like to cruise at 55mph to keep the RPM's down. Once up to speed, it maintains that speed up any of the hills around Oklahoma. Yes, we do have hills. But I'm guessing if I ever went to Colorado, I'd be going pretty slooooowwwwww......
i'm set on a pusher because of the drivetrains they offer, better OTR gearing usually, and many are air ride. i already have a bus (for sale) with a 5.9 cummins/allison at545. a skoolie type bus just isn't cutting it for me. i need a better ride, more refined interior, and a little more power. don't get me wrong, my bus does a great job for what it is... it's just that my travels/tastes are such that i need a little more.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:46 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Well you probably won't find a skoolie with much more power than a 5.9 in a TC2000... at least from what I've seen. Maybe there's something wrong with your engine, maybe a partly clogged fuel filter or something. My bus is no race car but it is compared to some other bus's.

As far as towing 15,000lbs with a hitch... (maybe this is a little off topic and you already have this part figured out) Aren't pull behind hitches rated at 10,000lbs max? I've never seen a hitch or a hitch ball rated for 15,000lbs unless you're talking about a pintle hitch. Like one of these...

Anyway if you're asking if anyone here has any experience towing a trailer that heavy with a transit/tour bus you might not ever get an answer. I think all but 1 or 2 of the bus owners on here have skoolies. Which as you already know have less power than a full size bus.

Jason did tow an overloaded trailer all the way to burning man last year from Michigan - about 5,000 miles total I think he said it weighed something like 12,000lbs - he may chime in but again that's a skoolie towing not a trasnit bus.

Good luck with your search.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:56 AM   #9
Bus Geek

my trailer uses a ball.....but i'd like to say that i am a HUGE fan of the pintle hitch. The articulation that it allows between the trailer and the tow vehicle is incredible, and it's so much more beefy than a ball.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:04 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

and louder In reality I don't think a pintle hitch clanking around back there would be the least bit noticeable in a bus. It's kind of that Princess and the Pea sort of thing.